Roku HD vs Roku XS

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
If you want to connect to wired internet or have a use for the USB port, yes, its worth the extra money for the XS. The HD is also not capable of playing games, it is not blue-tooth capable and it does not come with a blue-tooth game remote. One advantage of the XS and blue-tooth remote is that you can locate the Roku anywhere - mine is completely invisible hanging by Velcro behind the TV.

Mr. Pogi, have you tried the Smithsonian Channel on your Roku box? The only way I can get it to work on my box is to set the output to 720p. All other channels work with the 1080i setting just fine. I have tried 3 different TV's with the same result using HDMI.

Thx, Glen

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
The HD is the odd man out. It has a different decoding chip than the other 3. I recommend the LT over the HD.

That being said, the first generation HD-XR and the 2nd generation XD/S both top of the line models have the best inputs and outputs and those are the ones to get. I also recommend the top of the line 3rd generation. Or just get the LT, IMO.

I got my brother the LT for Christmas. Unless you have really good bandwidth, this is the way to go, unless you are looking for Inputs and Outputs.

MrPogi

Staff member
That being said, the first generation HD-XR and the 2nd generation XD/S both top of the line models have the best inputs and outputs and those are the ones to get.
Many of the newer channels don't work on the older models.

MrPogi

Staff member
Mr. Pogi, have you tried the Smithsonian Channel on your Roku box? The only way I can get it to work on my box is to set the output to 720p. All other channels work with the 1080i setting just fine. I have tried 3 different TV's with the same result using HDMI.

Thx, Glen
I have my roku set to 720p so I wouldn't know. I'll give it a try later and see.
Another source for Smithsonian content (not all the same stuff, though) is Nowhere TV - it features free content from providers like HGTV, Food Network, Smithsonian Channel, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, ... https://owner.roku.com/Add/H9DWC