ROOF versus ATTIC

jonnyd97

DTVUSA Member
Good morning.

I have been having trouble getting a good focus with my rooftop antenna. The thing about putting it on my chimney is that, even though I can control the trajectory of the antenna, I cannot change the location of the actual antenna!

Therefore I have been trying some locations in my attic with some mixed results. I wonder if there is anything I can do to help reception in the attic.

What are the challenges to receiving RF inside the attic? Reflection from the peak (wall) behind the antenna? Faraday type of problems from trying to receive through the asphalt shingle? The wood framework of the roof itself? Romex wiring inside the attic on the peaks running perpendicular to the focus of the antenna?

Thanks fellows!

What are the challenges to receiving RF inside the attic? Reflection from the peak (wall) behind the antenna? Faraday type of problems from trying to receive through the asphalt shingle? The wood framework of the roof itself? Romex wiring inside the attic on the peaks running perpendicular to the focus of the antenna?
I don't know about "Faraday type" but problems from asphalt, wood and wiring -- yes, yes and yes. And an amp is not a solution.

Rick

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Jonny,

Attenuation of signal reception from building materials is a fact. HVAC ducting, steel chimney pipes and your childhood sled stored in the attic 'could or may' cause issues. Outdoor is always best.

Jim