Router speed 10x slower than direct connect to modem - Time Warner Internet

This question is about "Router speed 10x slower than direct connect to modem", with Time Warner Cable internet and apps. I have Arris DG1670 Modem provided by Spectrum, and use personal Linksys EA3500 router. When I connect computer directly to modem, I get speeds ~200-220 Mbps (which is my advertised speeds from spectrum). If I connect my computer directly to router with wired connection I only get ~20 Mbps. Also, any device connected to the router wirelessly will get 20Mbps down. Interestingly the upload speed is ~10 Mbps for both modem and router. I've called Spectrum customer service and they have been no help. This router has worked in the past with other serice providers and had no problem outputing much higher speeds. Any help would be appreciated.

Router speed 10x slower than direct connect to modem?

"If I connect my computer directly to router with wired connection I only get ~20 Mbps"

I'm assuming you actually mean "wireless" or else your entire post doesn't make sense.

The short answer is, that's how wi-fi works. You're always going to have a better connection via a wired connection.

That being said, it does sound like you're seeing unusually low speeds on Wi-Fi, but this could be due to a variety of reasons - ranging from how far you are from the router to possible interference.