RTN is coming to the Boston Market!

We're finally getting RTN! I just found this out now. Now we'll have both RTN AND THIS!

TVNEWSDAY - WMFP Boston Adding Retro TV Network

Multicultural Broadcasting's independent WMFP Boston (DMA 7), will offer Retro Television Network's programming lineup of classic TV shows on on both its digital and primary feed.

The station, which had been airing infomercials and other paid programming, will become a fulltime RTN affiliate within the next two weeks. According to RTN's Neal Ardman: "We could not have a better affiliate. RTN will transform WMFP from an all infomercial station to a station that families all over the Boston DMA can enjoy with great shows like Quincy and The Rockford Files."

RTN is a television network that provides each affiliate a customized feed with classic hit shows, in addition to local programming including news, weather and sports. RTN is specifically designed to go on a broadcast digital channel.

back in the 80's we had a 24 hour music video channel on UHF 66, it was V66. I believe this station is what inspired MTV to come about. But around 1986, when MTV started to get more popular they fell so low, they converted it to a shopping channel.

Nice to see this stuff going the right way for once.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
We don't get anything good anymore. Seriously, they are so focused on HD that they haven't added a new 'fun' station in ages. They added Hallmark and Oxygen two years ago, and that was the first addition outside of a premium sports package, financial network, or other language channel. I'm dying to have the Retro Network, Sleuth, and some of these other good channels that people get.

We don't get anything good anymore. Seriously, they are so focused on HD that they haven't added a new 'fun' station in ages. They added Hallmark and Oxygen two years ago, and that was the first addition outside of a premium sports package, financial network, or other language channel. I'm dying to have the Retro Network, Sleuth, and some of these other good channels that people get.
This is over the air though.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
For some strange reason, the only RTN affiliate in Arizona is in Prescott! Probably broadcasting to all 5000 of the population up there.
KAZT-DT is repeated on KAZT-CA 27 (digital) in Phoenix, and the RTN subchannel is available on it.

If you can't receive it, they've got an application in with the FCC to relocate to a different channel after the transition. I don't know how long it will take for the FCC to approve it and then for it to get built, though.

On subject though, I'm told that the RTN guide data has started to show up on WMFP. Hopefully that means the launch is coming soon.

- Trip

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
KAZT-DT is repeated on KAZT-CA 27 (digital) in Phoenix, and the RTN subchannel is available on it.

If you can't receive it, they've got an application in with the FCC to relocate to a different channel after the transition. I don't know how long it will take for the FCC to approve it and then for it to get built, though.

On subject though, I'm told that the RTN guide data has started to show up on WMFP. Hopefully that means the launch is coming soon.

- Trip
Did not know that! Thanks, I tried a channel rescan on my TV with the insignia CECB (connected to bunny ears antenna)...

Nothing. I'll try my Mitsubishi LCD (with Antennas Direct DB2) here in a minute and do a manual add...​

Trip

Staff member
It should actually map to 7-1 and 7-2 once it's detected on channel 27. Depending on your make of TV, you might need to try looking for 27-3 rather than 27-1.

- Trip

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
It should actually map to 7-1 and 7-2 once it's detected on channel 27. Depending on your make of TV, you might need to try looking for 27-3 rather than 27-1.

- Trip
Scanned with my Mitsubishi LCD in the family room and I'm receiving it on 7-2! It hadn't even dawned on me to rescan in our family room, we usually watch OTA in the bedroom. Thanks Trip.

Trip

Staff member
Glad to help. :)

More and more of these LPTV stations are going to be flash-cutting to digital in the near future. I'm doing my best to keep RabbitEars updated with them. You'll see that KAZT-CA 27 is listed along with some of the others. (KPHE-LD, KEJR-LD, K38IZ-D)

There are more permits granted, just that I only list stations that are either on the air already or should be in the very near future. I suspect KVPA-LD will be on the air by July, thus why I've added it despite the fact that it is not yet on the air.

- Trip