RTV pulled another stunt

They took off Knight Rider and A-Team, for what? SPORTS

I'm sorry, but a stupid football game already simulcasts on the other channels and of course if sports are what people want, please....that's what channels such as ESPN are for. i hate retro shows being removed for stupid junk!

I've had just about enough of RTV pulling stunts like this. i'm seriously thinking of deleting it.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I figure that it's probably time for our area to finally get RTV. Oftentimes, we get stations just as they turn 'bad' and do stuff like this.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Sure that wasn't the local station showing the sports? WSET 13-2 is RTV and has locally replaced it with basketball before. (I missed BSG because of it more than once.)

- Trip

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Note: I was going to start a new thread with this post but it seems to fit here. And I agree with what Trip said, so...

Finally got RTV, sorta'

Sorta' because the channel that carries it (analog WWRD 32) usually shows infomercials and or other programming instead. For example todays (saturday 11-14-09) Retro programming didn't come on until 4:00 pm.

Some of WWRDs "other" programming isn't too bad. Yesterday afternoon they showed a "Dennis the Menace" cartoon from the mid 1980's and then one I'd never heard of called "The Book of Virtues". I thought that one was gonna' be a religious cartoon since WWRD is a Christian station, and in a way it was a religious cartoon since it featured the Greek God Proteus. He may not be a Christian but he is religious. Ha.

Wish there was a listing for the station online but I haven't found one. Not even Titan TV has a program list for them and WWRDs website hasn't been updated in years.

Well, I guess I got some Retro TV but not enough to drop my signature just yet. :)

They're still playing that stupid remake of Airwolf too. i had the horror of yet again having it take the place of a great show. why can't they just leave the old shows alone if they can't do it right?! What's next? reruns of Battlestar 1980?!

RTV i'm sure it's different in different markets. but it was a great channel pre-transition. even had some black and whites such as Leave it to Beaver.

So...let's see the way it's become more and more TV Land-ish

1. they removed the retromercials June 12th.

2. They added Midnight Monster Hop in place of the Saturday showing of Baa Baa Black Sheep. it's a 2006 serial so it's not even close to retro (like TV land did with 1990s shows)

3. the very same time WEHT-DT (25.1, RTV is 25.2) shows Seinfeld, it simulcasts on RTV. not a retro show (TV Land added Murphy Brown, from around the same time frame)

4. Shows such as Leave it to Beaver, originally at around noon weekdays, are gone. the only black and white classic showing any longer is Alfred Hitchcock.

5. The sub-channel has NEVER aired sports, especially when they're also part of the main feed. but now the daily showings of Knight Rider and the A-Team, are gone in favor of sports. football to be exact. it's a RETRO FRACKING NETWORK!!! NOT ESPN!!!

6. Remade Airwolf. it's a cheesy crappy attempt at extending the show. it's basically people pop on the screen, and they kill them with a really crappy model of the Bell 222 used in the original series. not worth my time. NONE of the original cast is present and footage used during action scenes is reused (more like stolen) from the original.

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I saw Leave it to Beaver on there the other morning. It followed Mchale's Navy
and they were both Retro shows because they had the little RTV stamp in the lower right hand corner.

Do all their shows have the RTV stamp? Seems like all the ones I've watched have had it so maybe if there's no RTV stamp then it's not an actual RTV show.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Boy would I love to be able to argue about this,but y'all are just fortunate to have RTV at all. We still don't have it and I've seen nothing that indicates that we will.

RTV was better off as RTN. heck for us Leave it to Beaver AND McHale's Navy are now MIA.

The RTV bug doesn't show on midnight monster hop (probably because the stupid thing does a outer limits style snow and lines and then the whole thing, and since it carries its own time cards and commercial cards i was beginning to think the entire channel had changed, since it was doing that till mid-morning post June 12th)

and it didn't show on the football game either. but as i said, it's a retro TV network. not a 1990s-up and sports channel. it never played sports till that night and seems to continue that during weeknights.

Operation Petticoat was one last airing of a real retro show just a few days ago, then it pulled another one and went to a catholic church ceremony. again, pick a religious station! there's plenty! what? everybody watching RTV MUST be catholic?

Reminds me of Animal Planet. finally, a channel for animal lovers without hunting or such garbage. but wait! it took a few years to get it on basic cable. and then they only lasted for one year before going to that 'extreme' crap just after Irwin's death, and then shows elk hunts and other various cruelty such as that felgercarb known as Animal Cops, where every pit bull must die! sick man, sick.

Also, there's more 'retro' in early-morning THIS TV channels. there's Mister Ed, Patty Duke, and Outer Limits, all of which trump whatever RTV is becoming. for now.

Last edited:

JakesDTVBlog

DTVUSAForum Member, , , Webmaster of: Jake's DTV B
OK, I missed out on all this, but WEHT has been running live high school football playoff games the last two Friday nights on RTV25 (25.2), and tomorrow night they'll show Evansville Reitz vs. Indianapolis Cathedral for the semi-state championship in their class.

These games have been broadcast live (as tomorrow night's will be), and they do not, nor have they ever simulcast these games in their entirety on 25.1. Highlights during the late news, yes, but not the whole game.

This is something that viewers have been clamoring for, and Lance Wilkerson (WEHT's sports director) tells me the response has been almost 100% positive. On my blog (and I'll have to look for sure) I think I've gotten maybe two or three negative comments about it, but most seem to think it's a wonderful idea, and I agree with them. Of course, I think any time you can showcase something positive in your local area on a local channel, you should do what it takes to make it happen.

I don't usually turn the TV on until noon or later, so I'm not sure about "Leave it to Beaver" (it's still on my EPGs, TVGuide and TitanTV), but I did notice that "Bachelor Father" (in B&W) was still on this morning. The retromercials, as best I can tell, were used as placeholders until they could get more advertisers. Now that they have more than a handful of companies buying time, they don't have the time to run 35 and 40 year old commercials. Do I miss 'em? Sure, but they don't pay the bills.

RTV, when it debuted as RTN, was sold to affiliates as a customizable package. In other words, if a station like WEHT wants to put a newscast and local sports on there, they can do so.

RTV = Retro Television Network. if people want sports, that's what channels like the main feed and ESPN are for. if i want to watch a game, i'll buy a damn ticket and do so. i am so sick of 90% of my lineup going to sports, even WBKO does it. not on the sub-channels though.

I'm sorry, but having a channel marketed for RTV, at the very least, if you want sports, how about 'classic games?'

I fail to see how Seinfeld and Midnight Monster Hop are old enough to be considered 'retro' though. oh, and the sports are Friday nights, and it showed the RTV 25 bug during the ad. stop playing sports on a RETRO TV network!

OK so it was annoying to lose a couple shows and have a few shifted around. i'll adjust. but really now, i enjoyed RTN because it was the one place i could get away from the constant sports on CBS (disables my Frasier and Everybody Loves Raymond fixes) and Fox (sundays no more animation domination :( ) but of course most of all sports never aired on sub-channels. now they do. seriously if people want local content, there's 9.2 WNIN Local, and a sports network on 36.1 called America One. pick one and leave my classic TV alone!

Does anyone else here who gets an RTV/RTN have sports too, or do you still enjoy full-on RTV viewing?

Last edited:

JakesDTVBlog

First of all, let's get everybody in the loop on this. What we're talking about here -- counting tonight's game -- is THREE football games that WEHT has aired on RTV25 (channel 25.2). Not a constant stream of sports, not a trend of eliminating programs you like to watch, but THREE games, one per week. Out of those 15 weeknights, 12 have been untouched by WEHT's hands in the 7 to 9PM timeframe.

I think you've missed the point of what I tried to explain to you in my previous post. If WEHT preempts an ABC show on 25.1, my understanding is that they have to find another place to air it later under their contract with the network, and that doesn't work out well in most cases. I might be wrong on that, but I don't think I am. RTV allows such programming to be aired in place of RTV programming without any penalty. That's the beauty of it.

WEHT, in the opinion of this sports fan, is doing a great service by carrying these high school football games, as there isn't enough room in any football venue in Evansville to fit the number of people that want to watch them. Their sports director, Lance Wilkerson, told me that he personally has received over 200 e-mails thanking them for doing this, and in a market the size of Evansville, if you get 200 happy e-mails, that's saying something.

He also said he'd like to air other sporting events as well (maybe even my beloved basketball, if I dare hope), so you might as well prepare yourself now.

Moving on, CBS isn't keeping you from watching Frasier and Raymond, either. Frasier doesn't even air on CBS 44.1. It's only on 44.2 (My44). Raymond is on both of 44's channels, first on 44.1 at 5PM and then again on 44.2 at 11PM.

Last year football (NFL) was on both CBS 44.1 and 44.2. i think one then the other.

I do wish they didn't use prime time though. i never cared for sports on TV. and as if that isn't bad enough, i can't even use radio to listen to music in-place of TV because just about 90% of FM and 25% of AM (not counting whatever news stations i can get yawn) is the same game or a game in general.

Fox is or was playing baseball, even to the point there was no 9PM News. sure, with constant swine flu panic not worth my time either, but i only watched it for the weather. no big loss. but on Sundays no cartoons.

When it even preempts A-Team though they've gotten personal. there may have been 200 happy emails, but that doesn't mean there could be, say 250+ angry ones from viewers in towns like Owensboro, Henderson and Evansville. not everyone likes sports and it's my own opinion on it, but i thought there were dedicated channels both on OTA and other (cable/satellite) specifically for sports. America One airs sports pretty much all the time. and ESPN and other channels are there for Cable/Satellite viewers, who also get problems with even satellite/cable-offered channels pre-empting it for sports. what good is ESPN if it's on Spike?

I'm not saying sports suck, i mean, i'd love to go to a REAL football game myself. right there on the grid-iron in front row. get all the benefits from it. but on TV or radio? not only are there actual channels for it but they have to almost put it on the entire lineup!

RTV from what i think is the views of people, is for those wanting to view 'retro' or older TV shows from 15-20 years ago (or longer). from that perspective, i doubt old grandma turns it on to watch a football game. or expects it.

It's not ending with sports. they also put on 'newer' shows that don't fit retro TV at all. Midnight Monster Hop is a travesty. if they wanted a retro horror theatre, try something like Tales from the Crypt. pretty much the same thing and fits the 'retro tv' theme.

Same goes for sports. how about airing some older games from the last 10-20 years? ESPN shows parts of historic games to show things like plays or bloopers during their run of SportsCenter, so the games are on tape somewhere? at least then you keep the RTV theme and sports-fans get what they want too. everyone's happy. i may still have to change the channel or get my computer up to snuff so i can view A-team and Knight Rider when RTV doesn't, but it would keep the channel true to its name to air 'classic sports' if that's where it's headed.

as for other channels, 14X is the worst. i liked having a 24/7 radar when i need it (not just for a warning; when you live in a mobile home a warning is too late to prepare--radar can give a glimpse ahead-of-time while the sun's still out) when i couldn't get WPSD. but Dr. Phil, Oprah, and Dr. Oz? who was the genius behind that travesty? the only thing that channel does for me is having that extra hour of 14 News Sunrise to wake up to.

That sub-channel that never happened, Tuff TV, would've been great for these games to air on. men's channel, football. seems to go hand-in-hand.

Last edited:

JakesDTVBlog

Tuff TV is now in six markets. I don't anticipate it coming here anytime soon. If/when it does, I agree, it's more suitable for sports. But right now, the way things are, it seems to be working for the vast majority of folks who have been watching.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
First of all, let's get everybody in the loop on this. What we're talking about here -- counting tonight's game -- is THREE football games that WEHT has aired on RTV25 (channel 25.2). Not a constant stream of sports, not a trend of eliminating programs you like to watch, but THREE games, one per week. Out of those 15 weeknights, 12 have been untouched by WEHT's hands in the 7 to 9PM timeframe.

I think you've missed the point of what I tried to explain to you in my previous post. If WEHT preempts an ABC show on 25.1, my understanding is that they have to find another place to air it later under their contract with the network, and that doesn't work out well in most cases. I might be wrong on that, but I don't think I am. RTV allows such programming to be aired in place of RTV programming without any penalty. That's the beauty of it.
PMJI, but this needs to be underscored: Very few people are actively and anxiously waiting for the next episode of I Spy to be broadcast. While the old show has fans, and some of you here like to watch it when it is broadcast, it cannot hold a candle to either Grey's Anatomy or even a high school football game in terms of the total extent of expectation wrapped up in its impending broadcast. Local stations offer RTV and other networks on sub-channels as an alternative, but when they themselves have an alternative to show, then that surely should take precedence.

I cannot tell you how many times I've read threads ripping into a local station because they preempted network programming for some local programming, or pushed it off to 1:05 AM, and then it started late and so they missed it. Over and over again the solution that folks come up with is to use a sub-channel to present one of the two programs, when a local station has a conflict.

Given all the outrage from videophiles about how offering sub-channels steals bits from the main channel, one of the best arguments for offering third-tier networks like RTV on sub-channels is that when needed there is a secondary channel available for the local station to broadcast conflicting programming of its own. As a way to handle programming conflicts for the main channel, and to present alternative programming when there is not a conflict, together, essentially justifies the allocation of bits. Everyone gets some of what they want, in proportion to how much benefit is derived in aggregate.

WEHT, in the opinion of this sports fan, is doing a great service by carrying these high school football games
And in the opinion of this non-sports fan, and fan of original, scripted programming, they're doing a great service by not preempting or otherwise disrupting their regular schedule of dramas and comedies. They're satisfying two really big constituencies this way, rather that seriously upsetting either.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
When it even preempts A-Team though they've gotten personal. there may have been 200 happy emails, but that doesn't mean there could be, say 250+ angry ones from viewers in towns like Owensboro, Henderson and Evansville.
Where are you getting these numbers? (That's a rhetorical question.) You're just making them up. The fact is that it is in the local station's best interest to know how many of their constituents are pleased and displeased by the moves they plan to make.

(Also, let's not forget that there are three constituencies here, the RTV constituency, the sports constituency, and the station's main channel's regular viewership constituency.)

not everyone likes sports and it's my own opinion on it, but i thought there were dedicated channels both on OTA and other (cable/satellite) specifically for sports.
We have no dedicated sports channels OTA here in the Boston area, and we have 17 OTA channels (not including sub-channels).

Also, remember that there are sources of retro-television on cable, that do not get preempted by other programming when a local station has a programming conflict.

what good is ESPN if it's on Spike?
Something else that I think you're missing. People in our society insist on competition. They get very upset when they feel that there is only one supplier of something. I see loads of whining about this, even when there really are more than one supplier. That's how sensitive people are to this issue. And so having one source of sports is unacceptable and essentially a red herring.

And that extends to OTA: Even though there are only 17 channels, here, even if one was dedicated to sports, it would be unacceptable in our society for it to be the only OTA source of sports.

RTV from what i think is the views of people, is for those wanting to view 'retro' or older TV shows from 15-20 years ago (or longer). from that perspective, i doubt old grandma turns it on to watch a football game. or expects it.
I'd bet that there is a greater probability that Grandma would want to see Grey's Anatomy, rather than I Spy. If you're going to start talking about relative percentages of expectation, retro-television isn't going to fare well. It is a niche interest. That doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. It simply means that it has lesser priority than many other interests, and therefore society's interest in ensuring that interest is served is not absolute and unequivocal.

It's not ending with sports. they also put on 'newer' shows that don't fit retro TV at all. Midnight Monster Hop is a travesty.
I just want to clarify something: RTV didn't present local high school sports. Rather, RTV's host utilized the sub-channel for that, preempting RTV for a period of time. Right? So your comments about the presentation of sports instead of RTV for that period of time, and your comments about RTV itself presenting "newer" shows, are totally unrelated to each other.

In a way they are related. to the extent that none of the two examples are 'Retro TV' newer shows are definitely not Retro any more than sports games. unless, of course, the sports games are historical. as in from the last 10-20 or so years reran.

Grey's Anatomy is not on RTV (yet) it's on 25.1, the main ABC feed. so it really doesn't apply.

The way i am seeing it, it's like if The Weather Channel started airing cartoons. sure, they'd get the ratings from the kids and parents, but it's the WEATHER CHANNEL. see the problem? it's a naming conflict. i see no mention of sports at 'myretrotv.com' at all. heck half of what's listed on that site doesn't show any longer here.

At the very least, change the name. or put the sports in the same spot as the usual Paid Programming, and have it sponsor the channel as well.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
In a way they are related. to the extent that none of the two examples are 'Retro TV' newer shows are definitely not Retro any more than sports games.
Again, the way I understand it, the sports games aren't "on" RTV. They're on the ABC affiliate's sub-channel. Essentially, RTV shares the sub-channel with the ABC's affiliate's overflow programming.

Grey's Anatomy is not on RTV (yet) it's on 25.1, the main ABC feed. so it really doesn't apply.
It absolutely does apply for the reasons I mentioned. Whatever the ABC affiliate's regular programming is has bearing on what it does when there is local programming that needs to be broadcast at the same time.

The way i am seeing it, it's like if The Weather Channel started airing cartoons.
First, the Weather Channel recently announced that they will soon start presenting weather-related movies. I see no reason for there to be any concern whatsoever about the Weather Channel perhaps starting to present weather-related cartoons. However, beyond that, if we viewers stop rewarding NBCU enough to keep the Weather Channel weather-related 24/7, then it is unreasonable to expect the Weather Channel to remain weather-related 24/7.

However, that's not even the point: Your analogy is faulty. It isn't like "if the Weather Channel started airing [non-weather-related] cartoons" -- instead it is like if your service provider started sharing channel 243 (or whatever) between the Weather Channel and Toon Disney... perhaps with Toon Disney running (only) Saturday mornings 6AM - AM. That would be perfectly fine, a violation of nothing, either legally, ethically, logically, or otherwise.

sure, they'd get the ratings from the kids and parents, but it's the WEATHER CHANNEL. see the problem?
The problem that I see quite often is individual viewers imposing their own personal preferences and person sense of purity onto entities and agents who owe them no such solicitude. The problem in such cases is that the viewers assert proprietary sentiments, when they have no proprietary standing. It's a manifestation of unfounded expectations -- an outgrowth of entitlement mentality. In other words, that viewer's proprietary perspective is the problem..

Last edited:
Listings for RTV stations

Wish there was a listing for the station online but I haven't found one. Not even Titan TV has a program list for them and WWRDs website hasn't been updated in years.

There is a website for RTV it is Welcome to RTV the Retro Television Network
It lists the stations by states and some stations have a PDF programming listing.

Our local RTV station is still on analog here in Missouri so you might have to switch your DTV box.

I do not even get RTV over where I am, nor do I know very much about the channel or it's programming. Would you say that it's somewhere along the lines of TV Land or something, or is it a lot different from that?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Questions and Answers 0