Samsung Class Action settlement

n2rj

Staff member
I am on the phone with them now, but I will have to call back. Apparently you need your model code and serial number. The model number is not the model code... well right now I have no way to see what it is. Oh well when I get home later.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
My sister bought the Samsung I have, but it plays just fine so I'm not covered in any of this. I'm curious about it though so keep us posted.

n2rj

Staff member
My sister bought the Samsung I have, but it plays just fine so I'm not covered in any of this. I'm curious about it though so keep us posted.
If she has the shadow problem it is covered until 2011 (not sure what month). So make sure she keeps an eye on it.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Oh are you sure? I read the FAQ that had a question about what if the problem hadn't developed yet and the answer was that it wasn't covered under the settlement. You know, it seems to me that it should be covered for a while, out of fairness.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Oh are you sure? I read the FAQ that had a question about what if the problem hadn't developed yet and the answer was that it wasn't covered under the settlement.
What it says is that if the set does not have light tunnel symptoms then you're not covered by the settlement. If the set does have light tunnel symptoms, then you will. There is nothing in the settlement that says that the symptoms must be pre-existing the settlement date; on the contrary, it is expressed as an "extension" of the limited warranty period, and so all the standards thereof (i.e., that the problem is covered if it is reported any time during the warranty period) apply.

Note that getting the set repaired yourself is a separate issue of the settlement, and so for folks who develop the problem from this point forward, that's naturally not going to be covered: The warranty has specific procedures for getting the set repaired. The only folks eligible for reimbursement would naturally be the folks who had (past tense) the problem while Samsung was refusing warranty service for the problem. If (going forward) you simply decide to get the set repaired yourself, and ignore going through the specified procedure for getting warranty repair, then you won't have any rights.

You know, it seems to me that it should be covered for a while, out of fairness.
Samsung denies wrong-doing and the court is not going to make a determination in that regard. This is a case of "reasonable people disagree" so fairness is defined solely by what the two parties can come to agreement on, which was this settlement.

I had the light tunnel collapse. I had the set under extended warranty, so I didn't even bother going to Samsung for the free out-of-warranty repair. I haven't read anything indicating that repaired sets exhibited recurrence of the problem, so I'm not worried. (Of course, I'm giving the set away to a cousin, so I'm really not worried.)

Last edited:

n2rj

Staff member
The only folks eligible for reimbursement would naturally be the folks whom Samsung refused (past tense) warranty service.
The settlement agreement did not state anywhere that one had to be refused warranty service by Samsung in order to be covered for reimbursement. Where did you see that?

n2rj

Staff member
Called them up today, was on hold for half an hour. Got the info to them and now a local repair service will be calling me within the next few days to setup a repair appointment.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The settlement agreement did not state anywhere that one had to be refused warranty service by Samsung in order to be covered for reimbursement. Where did you see that?
The point of that sentence was the communicate how reimbursement was only going to be offered to folks who had the problem before the settlement. Specifically April 23, 2010. In other words, folks won't be reimbursed for repairs after that date - they will be required to go through the warranty service process.

I reworded the original sentence to make that clearer.

n2rj

Staff member
The point of that sentence was the communicate how reimbursement was only going to be offered to folks who had the problem before the settlement. Specifically April 23, 2010. In other words, folks won't be reimbursed for repairs after that date - they will be required to go through the warranty service process.

I reworded the original sentence to make that clearer.
Thanks for making it clearer, because "The only folks eligible for reimbursement would naturally be the folks who had (past tense) the problem while Samsung was refusing warranty service for the problem." is completely different from "The only folks eligible for reimbursement would naturally be the folks whom Samsung refused (past tense) warranty service."

The latter (what you originally posted) implies that one had to attempt to get and therefore be refused warranty service in order to be reimbursed. The former implies that one didn't have to contact Samsung at all.

But I'm sure the lawyers got it right so no worries.

More specifically, if you paid for repairs before April 23 you will be covered.

So in summary:

Problem is repaired before April 23 at your own expense - reimbursement
Problem is repaired at your own expense on or after after April 23 - no reimbursement
Problem occurs up to October 2011 but not repaired (me) - free warranty repair

Any ISF calibration you lost and had to redo due to the repair is also reimbursed.

Last edited:

n2rj

Staff member
Repair done!

OK so in summary:

Tech called around 10AM to say he was coming between 12 and 2. Fair enough.

Tech gets here 12:30 which is remarkable. I expected him to come here later. You can tell I have little faith in companies that send people to do field service and specify a time. Anyway, so far so good.

Puts TV on the floor to repair. First thing I notice - no mat or anything. When I did field service I had a mat. I guess it's not necessary? You're probably saying "why is this relevant?" Anyway, read on.

Tech disassembles the TV. Pretty fast, uses a power screwdriver. No problem with that.

Replaces (a part of?) the light tunnel. Shadow is now on the right side. Disassembles something, adjusts something, shadow now at the bottom. Rinse, repeat, shadow at the left. Rinse, repeat, shadow now at the left, with a big stinking piece of dust (magnified to 2 inches) in the picture! UGH!!! Okay, this is why you have a mat, so you can have a clean surface and your parts don't get DUST on them.

In frustration, the tech now replaces some whole assembly. Looks like a miniature gun scope, complete with lens. I suppose that is the light engine? Or maybe the whole light tunnel assembly. EDIT: It's the light tunnel assembly.

He goes again into the test screen, runs the test pattern, everything looks good.

Total time spent ~ 1hr 15 mins.

To be fair, he had several jobs to do. I suppose sending out one guy to do oh I dunno 7-8 jobs a day really doesn't leave any time for quality control.

Anyway my TV is now fixed, I'm happy for the moment and the shadow issue is warranteed until October.

I'll be keeping watch.

Any questions?

Last edited: