Samsung LNA - anyone have the details of what it is?

n2rj

Staff member
Many Samsung TVs have a feature called "LNA" which is basically (supposedly) exactly that - a low noise switchable preamp. I have found that it does make a difference, in fact I am able to get lock on some signals which otherwise I wouldn't and some stations with dropouts tend to have fewer or no dropouts than other receivers.

In fact the Samsung LNA feature came out in the 90s with some of their analog CRT sets.

But does anyone know about the technical details, in terms of NF and what exact type of amp it is? My Samsung is a HLR-5667 DLP set fwiw.

FOX TV

Contributor
I have an older Samsung 32 inch CRT widescreen MONITOR without a digital tuner. It did have an analog tuner that also offered the LNA feature, and it actually looked like a noise reduction scheme instead of a signal booster of some type, but i really cannot comment on the feature for a digital tuner since mine had none.

n2rj

Staff member
I have an older Samsung 32 inch CRT widescreen MONITOR without a digital tuner. It did have an analog tuner that also offered the LNA feature, and it actually looked like a noise reduction scheme instead of a signal booster of some type, but i really cannot comment on the feature for a digital tuner since mine had none.
The noise reduction feature is separate. This is definitely an RF amp of some sort. I get lock on channels that were wishy-washy and the performance is noticeably better than other receivers I have.