Samsung portable 3D Blu-ray player launches, we’re not impressed

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Samsung portable 3D Blu-ray player launches, we’re not impressed | MyCE – My Consumer Electronics

From the article:

"Samsung has announced their US launch of the “world’s first portable Blu-ray player with 3D capability.” Intrigued, I decided to take a closer look." ...

... "Next, the BD-C8000 is only designed to be a disc-viewing and content streaming device. With only 1GB of memory and no mention of internal storage size, you’ll likely be limited to carrying discs around with you in order to watch high-quality video. While carrying discs around isn’t a major inconvenience by any means, the small storage size also limits the cross-functionality of the device." ...

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I'm trying to figure out the issue here. The device that the BD-C8000 is ostensibly replacing, the BD-C7500, had the same local storage. The BD-C8000 is just an upgrade to support 3D (a capability which, in the context that the BD-C7500 has been applicable, doesn't need local storage).

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to figure out the issue here. The device that the BD-C8000 is ostensibly replacing, the BD-C7500, had the same local storage. The BD-C8000 is just an upgrade to support 3D (a capability which, in the context that the BD-C7500 has been applicable, doesn't need local storage).
I'm slightly confused. Essentially, the BD-C7500 is the same as the BD-8000 but without 3D? I'm guessing they couldn't have updated via firmware for 3D support, but BD players like the PS3 can be updated via firmware to play BD 3D....

3D Blu-ray PS3 update dated for September, YouTube 3D support planned | Joystiq

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I think the difference is with regard to which type of 3D we're talking about. Active technology (such as is employed by the BD-C8000) requires the player have additional (and not inexpensive) hardware components. So it may not be as simple as a firmware upgrade.

So my concern was that the review was criticizing the device for not being what it never promised to be. Seems radically unreasonable.