Sarah's Transistor Radios (online Museum)

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Unusual Vintage Transistor Radio

Here's a very unusual transistor radio I found at Goodwill many years ago that is not in Sarah's (online) Transistor Radio Museum or anywhere else online (as far as I can tell).

It has a solonoid that is actuated by its' audio output, which makes 'his' mouth open and close.

This is the penultimate AM Talk Radio -- radio!

It also has a microphone input jack so it can be used as a small amplifier and still mechanically function, an earphone/speaker jack and a tape recorder output jack. It was made by a company that didn't bother to add their name to their creation, so its origin is completely unknown and it still works perfectly.

Please note his open VS closed mouth in the attached photos.
Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Cool stuff, looks like an exhaustive list with pics, although I don't agree with a lot of their comments about minimalism being a boring look.

Mockingbird

DTVUSA Member
OMG I have this one -Electro-Brand AM/FM Radio- It still works and I use it when I garden. I fact when we had that October storm a few years back, had it not been for my trusty transitor I would have been bored silly. At least I got to listen to the hockey game. Just like the old days, in th dark with the radio under my pillow.

rando01

DTVUSA Member
I had a couple of those Radio Shack transistor radios When I lived in Michigan as a kid. Loved staying up till late at night listening to all those old AM stations from Chicago and Detroit. those were the days....

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
I bought the 12-151A Weatheradio 20 years ago and still use it a couple of times a week:

It receives three frequencies on a switch -- 162.400, 162.475 and 162.550 MHz. This was before NOAA All Hazards Radio expanded to seven channels. Even so, there aren't many places where this little gem can't pick up a thing; it's risen to the occasion in places as diverse as "Middle of Nowhere," Mo., Yellowstone National Park, Wyo., and the northeastern New Mexico desert. These are handy to have around when the power's out and severe weather is on the march...

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Don,

I bought the Radio Shack AM Cube, Weather Cube and WWV/WWVH time cube radios many years ago. I use the Weather Cube every time a storm is expected here.

About 18 years ago I put together a Sportscar Rally covering about 60 miles with three timed checkpoints including the start/finish line. I used a Zenith Trans-oceanic radio at start/finish and the WWV Cube at the other 'live' checkpoint to establish all starting and arrival times. The third point was a secret checkpoint exactly 4 minutes into the rally and it was controlled on a wristwatch: ten second late, ten point against the car etc.

Anyway, one Club member was very proud of her brand new Seiko watch because it set its own time via 'radio' ... except, it was 25 seconds off! We had quite a disagreement and she didn't talk to me for two years after that. Too funny.

Jim

I'm trying to find a used vintage wood-veneer Radioshack Weather Radio. i missed one a few weeks back but one would go perfect with my decor consisting of mostly '70s appliances also graced in wood veneer.