Scan, No Channels

dfwtbear

DTVUSA Rookie
Dallas area, 75287, live in apartment facing northwest, 2nd floor of 3 floor building. I know antenna is vhf/uhf antenna, but I cannot put antenna of roof or anywhere that gets me a line of sight to the transmitter that are all south.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Welcome.

What type of antenna is it?

One of two things. Either the apt building has a lot of steel or metal. And/or something is causing a lot of mulitpath for you.

The other general category would be if something isn't right with your equipment.

Go with the second option first.

What type of antenna?

Do you have a converter box or digital TV?

dfwtbear

DTVUSA Rookie
Welcome.

What type of antenna is it?

One of two things. Either the apt building has a lot of steel or metal. And/or something is causing a lot of mulitpath for you.

The other general category would be if something isn't right with your equipment.

Go with the second option first.

What type of antenna?

Do you have a converter box or digital TV?
Apartment building is mostly wood. Antenna is a GE VHF/UHF antenna not powered. Nothing wrong with my equipment. TV is a Vizio HDTV. No converterbox needed no RF modulator. When we were still analog, did not get much, most channels were very snowy.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Apartment building is mostly wood. Antenna is a GE VHF/UHF antenna not powered. Nothing wrong with my equipment. TV is a Vizio HDTV. No converterbox needed no RF modulator. When we were still analog, did not get much, most channels were very snowy.
Ok, I looked at maps based on your zip code which I think is close enough.

The TV towers put in a pretty strong signal to your apt but if you only had snowy reception before, there isn't enough signal for digital.

The only idea I have is to try powered indoor antenna.

One of the best is the Amazon.com: Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception: Electronics

If you get that antenna, place the rabbit ears part in a vee extended out about 15 inches each.

It has to be the building blocking your signal, as all the transmitter are SSE of your location.

Hi John, welcome to the community,

We need a little more info. How is the converter connected to the RF mod? Is there any other equipment attached to it? Does the RF mod connect directly to the TV?
Tony,My RFis connected to converter with 3 cables,yellow,red and white. Converter box contains exact colored cables.All configurations are correct. I followed instructions were done exactly as written. No channels, no anything. Thank you much for much needed help. john-mcmahon@live.com