Should I Bother??

Oldmil

DTVUSA Rookie
Good evening all.

I was thinking about getting a small lcd 12v tv for my cabin. I would put a roof mounted antenna up (approx. 30 ft above ground).

Here's my TVfool report. Should I bother getting a tv and antenna at my cabin? I only have solar/battery power so boosters are not an option. Looks like I may get 1 or 2 channels.

Thanks for your input.

Oldmil

Attachments

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
It doesn't look promising, but...
If you Like PBS, WLEF broadcasts 3 channels: PBS, The Wisconsin channel, and PBS Create. It should be no problem. WLEF channel 36 is strong enough for a decent UHF antenna.

W32CV is an analog translator (repeater) for Fox 21 KQDS. It has newscasts and Sunday football, and other sports. Keep in mind, it's analog, and it will not be the best picture quality, but watchable.

If you want to be connected to the outside world, I would do it. You shouldn't have to spend a lot of money. Assume the DC TV to be the most expensive part, at under $100. I would also say to you that you should have a portable TV anyway for when the power goes out at home.

I have one of these: Amazon.com: Eviant T7 7-Inch Handheld LCD TV, Black: Electronics and it's a decent TV, although you will need to buy the car cord http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Power-Eviant-Inch-Portable/dp/B003M6BEWC/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b for running on 12v. If you're looking for something bigger, this is 13inches: Amazon.com: SC-1331 13.3" 1280 x 800 500:1 LCD TV: Electronics . Important: since you have an analog channel (fox) make sure whatever TV you get receives both ATSC digital and NTSC analog.

For an antenna, I would get either a 4 bay bowtie like the Channel Master CM-4221HD, or a WINEGARD HD-9032 / antennacraft MXU59. Mount it so it's easy to turn from WLEF to W32CV, run some RG6, and you're good to go. Cost, about $100 for the TV, $50 for antenna, and $30-$50 for cable, mast, etc.

Throw in a $30 DVD player http://www.amazon.com/SC-1331-13-3-1280-800-500/dp/B0030V3D1Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top and 12v adaptor, and you're all set for the next rainy weekend at your camp, or your next power outage at home.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Oldmil,

Yes, I think you should try a battery powered TV at your cabin and I agree with Mr Pogi, they are also very nice to have during a power outage, to use on your deck when its a beautiful hot summer night or to listen to a NASCAR race while you're gardening. Plus (depending on the Brand/Model) they can be powered and/or recharged by your car or truck. I wrote an article about a Battery Powered TV set I purchased a few months ago, here: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/content/601-haier-hlt10-10-portable-dtv.html

The analog channel Mr Pogi talked about will probably look pretty good on a small screen: I receive a 2-edge low-power analog translator from 38 miles away and it is quite 'grainy' on a 40" screen, but when I switch to the TV sets' diagnostic setting, a small image of the program being received shows in the corner of the large screen and it is very clear for viewing. As suggested above, be sure the set you buy has a tuner that accepts both digital and analog signals.

Since I wrote the article, my girlfriend was Hospitalized for a couple days and she had very limited channel choices in her room. Our Battery Powered TV came to the rescue, providing 14 additional channels (plus some duplicates). The nurses were always checking on her, just to see what she was watching!

Jim

Last edited:

Oldmil

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks for the reply. One problem: I plan on mounting the antenna on the roof so moving it will be a problem. I could use a rotor with an inverter running off my solar batteries.

Are there any multi directional antennas that have decent reception?

Oldmil

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. One problem: I plan on mounting the antenna on the roof so moving it will be a problem. I could use a rotor with an inverter running off my solar batteries.

Are there any multi directional antennas that have decent reception?

Oldmil
I don't have anything good to say about omni antennas.
A rotor on the inverter would work, but it's extra money ($75 TO $100) and a battery drain.

If you put up a long mast, from ground to roof, and attached to the side of the building to rotate, you could rig it to turn to those 2 positions by hand.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Mr Pogi,

What is the name of the split/hinged two-directional screen antenna we have discussed in the past here on the Forum? It might be the ideal antenna choice for Oldmil.

Jim