Should I buy a Plasma or a LED HDTV?

U

Unregistered

Which one is better? I don't want to spend more than $2,000 so that should be enough for a 55" for either Plasma or LED HDTV right?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
This comes up often, see some of the "Similar Threads" below. If you have $2K to burn, get a Plasma. If you have a bright room, get a LED because there's too much glare with Plasma.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
[h=2]Should I buy a Plasma or a LED HDTV?[/h]
Yes.

Seriously, though...

It depends on your viewing area and viewing habits, and what you value.

Plasma, strong points: Sharp picture, superior for sporting events and fast-motion.
BUT: Runs warm and uses more electric,

LED: Low cost of operation, runs cool.
BUT: Picture quality is not quite equal to what plasma can deliver.

If you have $2000 to spend, you will find a good TV be it plasma or LED. But if you buy an LED TV, look for one that has Full-array with local dimming: Compare LED TV backlighting

Another vote for Plasma.

Plasmas offer better contrast and darker blacks over LCDs. One of the reasons why you see bars and other venues use Plasmas more often is because of the clarity they offer while watching from different viewing angles.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
All of the top brand are pretty good. Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, and Vizio are pretty safe bets. Look for wi-fi connectivity and apps too. Nice to have with extras like Netflix and Hulu if you ever consider cutting the cable cord (if you haven't already).

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I love my Plasma, but it does run hot and is an electric guzzler. I watch it a lot, but hopefully it'll last. I did have to have it replaced within the first two months of owning it though because there was what I will call a motherboard issue right off the bat. I love my LCD TV too, but it's the Plasma I watch more often.

When you're shopping for an HDTV, there are plenty of factors to consider. Chief among them is the type of display.

The Basics: What's the Difference Between LCD, LED, and Plasma?

The three technologies are vastly different, particularly with respect to how each screen is lit. In plasma HDTVs, the phosphors that create the image on the screen light up themselves, and don't require backlighting. For LCD HDTVs, however, the liquid crystal screen does not illuminate, requiring a separate light source. That's where the difference between "regular" LCD screens (also known as CCFL-backlit LCD) and LED-backlit LCD screens (also known as LED-LCD, or just LED screens) come in. Traditional LCD HDTVs use cold cathode fluorescent lights (CCFLs) to illuminate the screen. CCFLs are similar to the fluorescent lights you might see in some lamps and overhead light fixtures. They use a charged gas to produce light. LED screens, like their name implies, use light emitting diodes (LEDs) to illuminate the display. LED backlighting has become much more common in the last few years, and CCFLs are now generally only seen on budget HDTVs.

Hope This helps... It also depends on your preferences... in our home, we did have Samsung UN22D5003. It's a 22-Inch at 1080p LED HDTV. even it a 2011 model, it is still great and good for us every time we used it.

in addition, samsung and lg are gaining popularity and earning compared to the sony and panasonic. check this out:

http://www.nerdtechie.com/great-revenue-to-samsung-and-lg-while-sony-and-panasonic-are-struggling/