Should I get a Plasma HDTV?

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Has LCD really improved to the point to where it can compete against Plasma in terms of picture quality? Prices on Plasma TV's have really come down a lot so I'm thinking about spending a few more dollars to get better PQ because I don't plan on buying another TV for at least another 5 years after this one.

Any input would be great.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
The plasmas that are still out there are pretty decent. The best deals you can get seem to be 720p and 1080p at about 50 inches. Walmart has a great deal on a Sanyo 50" 720p plasma for under $600.

Also, energy consumption has dropped on the plasmas in the past few years, as they try to beat the new energy star and California requirements. I think some of the ones that can't meet the standards will drop out of the plasma market - the point being that now may be a good time to get a deal on a plasma while you can.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Also, energy consumption has dropped on the plasmas in the past few years, as they try to beat the new energy star and California requirements. I think some of the ones that can't meet the standards will drop out of the plasma market - the point being that now may be a good time to get a deal on a plasma while you can.
As Mr Pogi wrote: "... now may be a good time to get a deal on a plasma while you can"

In the interest of saving energy the Obama Administration (if given a second term in office) has plans to block imports of "energy eating" Plasma Televisions. So much for your freedom to buy what you want to buy. Try to find a 100 watt incandescent light bulb now ... illegal to manufacture or import for US citizens now. Thanks a lot, George Bush. The land of the free? Hardly.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Try to find a 100 watt incandescent light bulb now ...
Loopholes, me boy, loopholes! They're not just for the wealthy.

"Specialty" bulbs are excluded. Try a 100 watt rough service, decorative, or - a 3 way bulb in a regular socket.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I've heard that Plasma's give the best black color performance. Every time I've gone to the store and looked at demo's, Plasma picture quality looked better than LCD.

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
A plasma television have solid performance in blacks and natural colors no dimming like lcdtv or LED tv that uses dynamic contrast to reach deep black levels the problem with this trick is a mixed scene with all black and almost half on light or fine light and almost 90 % black shades and will see that the trick don't work fine. A plasma tv currently don't eats energy since the new panel structure so are energy efficient, I have a panasonic plasma display with neo pdp panel and have outstanding image quality and smooth motions no blur scenes.

A plasma tv can be a great choose if want watch everything with great quality an lcd and led tv looks fine but colors quality isn't the same

Regards
Francisco

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk