Should iPad Owners Have the Right to Unlimited Data?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
While I understand the need for mobile companies to limit bandwidth at this point 2 GB( at&t new cap ) or even 5 GB is a joke. $10 per GB is even more of joke. It doesn't cost at&t $10 to provide an extra GB of bandwidth. I'd be real interested in seeing at&t's actual cost so people can see how they are trying to f**k over customers.

Fact is no reason why at&t can't provide 20 GB of data. If they can't perhaps they should get out of the mobile business and sell to someone more competant. Secondly they should just thottle speeds like T-Mobile does instead of charging overages. If they insist on charging overages they should charge more realistic prices. $1 per GB is more than enough to pay for cost of bandwidth, money for network improvements to increase badnwidth and a bit of profit.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Fact is no reason why at&t can't provide 20 GB of data. If they can't perhaps they should get out of the mobile business and sell to someone more competant. Secondly they should just thottle speeds like T-Mobile does instead of charging overages. If they insist on charging overages they should charge more realistic prices. $1 per GB is more than enough to pay for cost of bandwidth, money for network improvements to increase badnwidth and a bit of profit.
I consistently receive 10-20% faster download speeds on my Verizon 3G card via WIFI on my iPad than I do connected to my built in 3G AT&T card on my iPad. If AT&T ever made the decision to throttle, I'd cancel tomorrow.

I was lucky enough to be grandfathered in on the unlimited plan this month but a lot potential iPad buyers who frequent Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About aren't too happy about the new pricing plans. I sprung for the 3G because I'm always on the road and plus I wanted GPS nav, but as soon as Verizon comes out with 4G mifi, I'm dropping my AT&T plan like a bad habit.

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
I consistently receive 10-20% faster download speeds on my Verizon 3G card via WIFI on my iPad than I do connected to my built in 3G AT&T card on my iPad. If AT&T ever made the decision to throttle, I'd cancel tomorrow.

I was lucky enough to be grandfathered in on the unlimited plan this month but a lot potential iPad buyers who frequent Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About aren't too happy about the new pricing plans. I sprung for the 3G because I'm always on the road and plus I wanted GPS nav, but as soon as Verizon comes out with 4G mifi, I'm dropping my AT&T plan like a bad habit.
You rather pay $10 per GB than be throttled? Sorry but that's insane. You go 10 GB over that's $100.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
You rather pay $10 per GB than be throttled? Sorry but that's insane. You go 10 GB over that's $100.
No, I'm on the unlimited plan so I don't really have to worry about it, though I'll rarely go above 10 GB a month anyway. I think AT&T's new pricing plans are only going to drive more potential iPad owners to wifi models...but Apple has been doing a good job keeping the supply limited on those models.

One thing that irks me.....is that AT&T and Apple won't let you tether a Blackberry or Droid phone to the iPad. Heck, AT&T even charges extra for iPhone users to tether their phones to the iPad.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Originally posted by Jay:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jay,

How about adding two things to the glossery database here: WIFI and (a new term to me) mifi. I haven't checked, but are 3G and 4G there?

Jim

Last edited: