Should NBC be fined for M.I.A.'s middle finger during Super Bowl?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Just curious if anyone here thinks NBC should face repercussions because M.I.A. flipped the bird during the half time show.

Here's a picture of it.

n2rj

Staff member
I did not even notice this yesterday, LOL!

My opinion is that the network shouldn't be liable. Then again they have delays for exactly this sort of thing.

But they should not be liable.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I think NBC and the NFL should have expected this sort of thing, considering the type of acts they hired.

"We hired some crack hos and we are shocked that they didn't act like proper ladies. Shocked, we say!"

Yep, they couldn't have seen that coming. Maybe they shouldn't hire performers that have built their entire careers on shock?

Last edited:

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Was it an NBC rep who flipped the bird? No.

I don't really understand the argument here, why should NBC be held liable for something they had limited control over. I completely missed the incident yesterday and I watched the whole half time show. If anything, fine the performer.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The 2004 fine was $550,000. That was like 1/4 of the price of a single 30 second spot. I'm sure CBS spent way more than that on defending it, and the government probably spent more than that also. I have a feeling that NBC let it "slip" on purpose so the nets can drive the government indecency rules into the ground.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
NBC should be fined for hiring talentless lowlife scum for the halftime show of the Superbowl.

On a side note. That appeared to be the endcap of Madonna's carreer.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
In my opinion, who controls the hiring for the half time shows should be fined big time. They are the idiots who continue to book the irresponsible acts who do this thing. If you're going to hire Madonna, you know she isn't going to go out there performing with the class of Doris Day.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
In my opinion, who controls the hiring for the half time shows should be fined big time. They are the idiots who continue to book the irresponsible acts who do this thing. If you're going to hire Madonna, you know she isn't going to go out there performing with the class of Doris Day.
Madonna likes controversy, but she doesn't go as far as doing something that would get the networks fined. She didn't have a wardrobe malfunction like Janet Jackson did. Madonna didn't flip the bird either, nor did she show any other body part. If anyone should be fined, it should be MIA.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Madonna likes controversy, but she doesn't go as far as doing something that would get the networks fined. She didn't have a wardrobe malfunction like Janet Jackson did. Madonna didn't flip the bird either, nor did she show any other body part. If anyone should be fined, it should be MIA.
Agreed. Even then, I don't really consider flipping the bird that offensive.