Should there be a quality control commission for adverts?

Aries

DTVUSA Member
With few exceptions, like the Geico caveman commercials, hardly any ads are worth watching. Do you think there should be an approval group that decides if an ad can be aired or not?

I'd love to see ads that make simple tasks like putting pasta into a colander get banished from TV.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
With few exceptions, like the Geico caveman commercials, hardly any ads are worth watching. Do you think there should be an approval group that decides if an ad can be aired or not?

I'd love to see ads that make simple tasks like putting pasta into a colander get banished from TV.
If we're talking about over-the-air television, commercials / advertisements have to follow the same decency standards (Obscene, Indecent and Profane Broadcasts) as any other television show.

Are you asking if there should be a separate approval process for ads? If you think about it, there kind of already is. It's the audience watching them. If they approve of the ad, they may go out and buy or use the product that's being advertised. If they don't like the ad, they may avoid the product and buy something else.

I guess my question to you is, why should ads be held to a different standard (pre-approval process) than TV shows?

Piggie

Super Moderator
To me except for profanity on OTA if someone wants to advertise super ballon poppers, and people buy them, well that is free enterprise.

Could start a worst commercial thread :mad:)

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
I want more funny advertising. Not these lame clips, which you can see everywhere.

I love it, when I could love about the actors, if they act a little weird.

There is a department handling this kind of advertisement. But if this department does their job right we'll and good but as I see it now they should do a better job at it. There are still a lot of kids watching this ads.