Signal Amplifiers: A question

atlanta

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I've got a new Vizio HDTV, and I've been splitting the table-top antenna to the TV and also to the VCR for recording. It seems like the signal isn't as good as it used to be, but I don't know if it's the Vizio or the fact that I'm splitting the signal. Would an amplifier make the signal noisier? Where would an amp go - before or after the splitter? Where do you get one (radio shack?)? I'm new to HDTV so I don't know what steps to take next. Thanks! You've all been very helpful in the past with my stupid questions!

Katie

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Hello Katie!

Could you post a link to your TVFool results page?

You may be better off getting a different antenna (perhaps one with an integrated amplifier). Rather than just getting an amplifier.

atlanta

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks. I'll look around for an antenna. I did buy one at one point that had an amp in it, but I didn't see any difference between the non-amplified and the amplified one, so I returned it. But that was when I was only running one signal instead of splitting it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this: <<Could you post a link to your TVFool results page?>>

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Go to TVFool.com, then "Click Here" and fill in the info including height, and it will take you to a page with charts and graphs. Copy that address from the address bar of your browser and paste a link to it here. Your exact address will not be visible to others.

FOX TV

Contributor
I've got a new Vizio HDTV, and I've been splitting the table-top antenna to the TV and also to the VCR for recording. It seems like the signal isn't as good as it used to be, but I don't know if it's the Vizio or the fact that I'm splitting the signal. Would an amplifier make the signal noisier? Where would an amp go - before or after the splitter? Where do you get one (radio shack?)? I'm new to HDTV so I don't know what steps to take next. Thanks! You've all been very helpful in the past with my stupid questions!

Katie
Besides all of the physical or technical problems an antenna can have, they are not the only cause of signal levels that suddenly change. I noticed a phenomenon that could give some clues as to sudden changes in signal level or quality. I have a digital TV in my kitchen using an indoor antenna, and of course I have my main TV in the living room. I noticed that as of a few months ago, that when I have both sets on, that the sound is not in sync between the two sets. I had not noticed this during the winter months, but now that the leaves have returned to the trees, it seems that the two sets are receiving different copies of the signal. I suspect that the main set in the living room, which is using an antenna elevated at 30 feet is receiving the main signal, and the one in the kitchen is receiving a reflected signal, as the audio on this set is slightly behind the one using the outdoor antenna at 30 feet.

Looking at the signal strength using a bit stream analyzer shows that the signal on the kitchen antenna is much weaker, and the antenna elevation difference could explain that, but the signal "Quality" parameters are what indicates that two separate signals are being received, as the EVM (Error Vector Magnitude) is much different than the 30 foot antenna signal. The EVM parameters are a key element in signal quality, and is one of the main benchmarks that is used to gauge a signals level of quality, which in the long run details a signals receiveability, as well as its quality. ( Quality equals Immunity from pixelization and signal drop out).

atlanta

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Oh, that was kind of interesting! Here it is: TV Fool. I tested my tv with and without the splitter, and I don't see much of a difference, so I'm thinking that maybe the Vizio doesn't have as good a tuner as my analog Panasonic. That's my theory so far, anyway.....