Signal loss - DirecTV

I live in northern California and with all the storms we have been having this year my signal would have problems during storms, however, once the weather passed everything was fine.

Then last week a couple of channels started stuttering. They would never have a complete loss, but the picture would freeze and then restart constantly. It was only one channel at first. Then on Saturday that same channel completely disappeared - when I turned on that channel I would get a 771 code with signal loss satellite 2. On Saturday a couple of other channels started the same freezing action, but not that bad.

Then yesterday the freezing started hitting more channels. I checked the cables, none loose. I got on the ladder and looked at the dish, no obstructions. The dish is a little dirty, but not that bad. I called tech support and they had me reset the receiver and unplug the attachment in the back (the one with the green light). Then I had nothing. The receiver never found a satellite signal and I couldn't even get the menu or guide to appear. I also couldn't even watch my saved shows.

At that point they told me I could purchase the protection plan or pay $99 to have someone come out and look at it. I was surprised because I viewed this as their issue, not mine. The conversation ended at that point - I did some research and learned that I apparently own the dish they charge me to fix it. Don't agree with the policy, but whatever, that is the policy.

I reset the receiver again and it took forever for it to find the a signal, but eventually it did. I was then able to watch everything for about 10 minutes, but then all of the cable channels started freezing. The local channels were fine.

I tried to reset again and now I can't get any satellite signal. So no channels at all, not even local. I checked the satellite signal and almost all of the numbers are at "0." The first screen I looked at had four rows and the satellite position was 101.

For example the top row was: 0 0 0 32 0 0 0
The next row was: 0 0 0 33 0 0 0
The next row was: 0 0 0 35 0 0 0
The bottom row was: 0 0 0 34 0 0 0

That is from memory, so there may have been more 0's on both sides of the numbers in the 30's. The point is that each column either had all 0's or a number in the 30's.

While we have had a lot of weather this year, yesterday we had some light rain, but certainly nothing that would cause issues. We also had some significant wind last week, but that is fairly common where I live and the complete failure that happened yesterday was not accompanied by any wind.

Does it look like the problem is related to the position of the satellite or is there something else?

This question, "Signal loss," is about DirecTV channels, programming, equipment, and sports.