Simple.TV Ships This Week

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The Simple.TV hardware definitely isn’t a set-top box as there are no digital video outputs like HDMI. Instead, the Simple.TV is designed to deliver free over-the-air channels to platforms outside the home theater. Combining elements of the SlingPlayer and TiVo hardware, the Simple.TV can feed over-the-air channels to devices like PC and Mac computers, the iPad, the iPhone and the Roku set-top box.

It also works on Android devices through a HTML5 web application according to the Kickstarter page, but a dedicated application could be developed at a later date. Since the Simple.TV is feeding significant amounts of data, it does require a wired connection to the router within a home instead of Wi-Fi. In addition, the Simple.TV includes two coaxial inputs for an antenna as well as basic cable.

If a Simple.TV owner wants to access the DVR functions of the device, they only need to plug a portable hard drive into the Simple.TV via the 2.0 USB port on the back of the device. This gives the user the option of choosing the amount of hard drive space they will need for recording high definition television shows or movies. However, there’s only a single tuner in the device which means only one program can be recorded at a time. However, Simple.TV will eventually support multiple DVRs on a single account, so people can purchase additional hardware for more tuners.
Read more: Kickstarter success: Simple.TV ships this week | Digital Trends

I've been following the development of Simple.TV simply because I'm always looking for affordable OTA DVRs to recommend to people. Simple.TV certainly has promise, and I'm glad to see the offer of "lifetime" guide data for a one time ($199) fee. I also like the idea of using my Roku as an extender. The big downside I see is the single tuner. I often record more than one program at the same time and really see multiple tuners as a necessity for a successful DVR.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Dan, Would this work the same as with an Apple TV? the little box not the new Tv that apple is coming out with.

Thanks, Tim
There is nothing in the article to indicate that Apple TV will have an app. That doesn't mean that there won't be one in the future. On the other hand the new Mountain Lion OS for Mac allows you to screenshift to the Apple TV, so you could go that route.

P.S. The "iTV" so far is just a rumor that doesn't go away.

Tim

DTVUSA Member
Dan, this is awesome buddy!! The only thing I have a problem with what kind of hard drive to connect? I have a macBook but for some resin it does not like to be on for long periods of time. I do have an old Dell computer that dos still work. If you have any suggestions on what kind of hard drive to buy would be great!

Thanks again Dan for all your help

Tim

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Dan, this is awesome buddy!! The only thing I have a problem with what kind of hard drive to connect? I have a macBook but for some resin it does not like to be on for long periods of time. I do have an old Dell computer that dos still work. If you have any suggestions on what kind of hard drive to buy would be great!

Thanks again Dan for all your help

Tim
It works with USB 2.0 external hard drives.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Questions and Answers 0
G Comcast 0