Sling Restructures Packages, Adds New Channels

So I turned on my Roku this morning, popped on Sling to watch some CNN and lo! I suddenly had about 10 or so new channels. Wanting to make sure I wasn't being charged for something I didn't order, or perhaps hubby also got the streaming love bug and added some packages, I called customer service. Seems there's a new repackaging taking place over at Sling and it's very interesting.

CNN is now part of the basic package and the News and Info Package turned in to International News and includes News 18 India, Euronews, NDTV 24x7,France 24 and RT. They added Lifestyle Extra which includes Cooking Channel, DIY,TruTv and We.

The amazingly wonderful customer service lady was very apologetic that Sling didn't make an announcement and she herself wasn't sure if I was being charged. After a few supervisor questions it turns out existing customers with the old packages will be grandfathered in to the new packages for the remainder of their billing period and then recharged the new rates at the beginning of the new billing period.

So did anyone else get a bit of a bait-and-switch feeling when they turned on Sling? I don't appreciate how they didn't make some sort of announcement before today. I checked the blog after calling and it wasn't mentioned, checked it a few hours later and there it was. The day you pull a switcheroo isn't the best time to announce your intentions. BUT....at least they're switching some good stuff around and adding quality channels.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Nothing new here since they added AMC and IFC. If they were to try and add those other channels you listed and charge extra for them I'd drop the service.

I am a bit confused about what you said concerning CNN. At first you said you turned on the Roku to watch CNN on Sling, but then added that CNN is now part of Slings basic package. CNN has always been part of the basic package so...I don't get that part of your comment.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I know that "RT" is free on the internet, and probably "France 24" is also. So, why wouldn't you include them? "Bloomberg" is free "CBSN" is free. ABC is going to soon have a free news channel... When you get Sling you are paying for ESPN, CNN, TBS, TNN, and convenience.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I know that "RT" is free on the internet, and probably "France 24" is also. So, why wouldn't you include them? "Bloomberg" is free "CBSN" is free. ABC is going to soon have a free news channel... When you get Sling you are paying for ESPN, CNN, TBS, TNN, and convenience.
For those with kids, Disney, Cartoon Network and ABC Family are a nice addition since they are not free online. But without Nik, and since my kids would watch on their own TV - Sling only allows one stream - I can't justify the cost right now. $5 extra for the "Kids Extra" is worth the price if you already have Sling and want "Baby TV" - The cost for BabyTV alone as a roku channel is $4.99 a month.

"World News Extra" is not worth the extra $5 for channels you can get free already. (HLN is not available free, but I despise HLN!)

If you are a sports nut, the "Sports Extra" may be worth the price.

I think I would rather have Netflix than "Hollywood Extra", even though Netflix is more per month it has more content. Now, if it included HBO, that would be different.

Since the base package includes HGTV and Food Network, I don't see enough value in "Lifestyle Extra".

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Comcast 0