small picture

I have just finished the connection for my dads switch over to dtv. Everything works great except on some channels the picture is not large enough to fill the screen. In fact some of the channel pictures are quite small. Is this normal?

you can change the picture mode with your converter box in the menu, what box do you have? it's probably on letterbox. If you want to fill the screen to 4:3 square look for the 'zoom' option or 'full' option

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
In fact some of the channel pictures are quite small. Is this normal?
Well, you know, they don't call it the "small screen" for nothing...

All kidding aside, you're probably viewing the letterboxed HD signal, (black bars on top and bottom,) showing an SD picture, (black bars on sides,) making the whole thing look very small. Normal, and quite annoying.

Like Static said, zooming into the picture would fix that.

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Of course, if you work for the Geek Squad, you think that zoom means it's searching for signal and that full means it's at full strength. True story! I kid you not!

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I have just finished the connection for my dads switch over to dtv. Everything works great except on some channels the picture is not large enough to fill the screen. In fact some of the channel pictures are quite small. Is this normal?
Yes it's normal. I believe some of the CECBs have a setting to automatically accommodate for this. Which CECB did you set up for your Dad?