Smart Antenna opinions for towers located in different directions

I'm not too far from broadcast towers, but I have problems sometimes picking up VHF channels. Anyone ever try a smart antenna? My converter box has the option of using one. I'm curious too how smart antennas adjust themselves? Does the converter box do the adjusting or does the antenna itself control the adjusting?

Sorry for all of the questions. I know absolutely zero about TV antennas.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Smart Antennas were a promising technology. However do to poor standardization its pretty much a failed technology at this point for OTA Television. The only 2 antenna that were laudable were the Sylvania DTA 3500 and DTA 5000. You can find them on eBay sporadically and they go for upwards of $100.

I have 2 known reports on Smart Antenna use. One guy close to the towers loved his (I think he got a RCA ANT2000 which isnt as good as the Sylvanias), he particular like his because his wife liked not having to adjust the antenna. He was previously using a Radio Shack 1892 UFO which is like a manually adjustable Smart Antenna at least on UHF frequencies.

Another fellow was impressed with the Sylvania not being a piece of garbage and actually having some decent performance. However in LA it all on Mt Wilson, so he didnt need a Smart Antenna.

The RCA ANT2000 is widely available on the returned refurb market. Why they were returned in such large numbers and why nobody is producing anymore Smart Antennas should give you clues about its desireability.

flcs3

DTVUSA Member
I'm not too far from broadcast towers, but I have problems sometimes picking up VHF channels.
Usually it is best to go to tvfool.com and post a link to the results (the exact address that you enter will not be displayed with the results).

Anyone ever try a smart antenna?
Not personally, though last fall I was thinking about it. I lost interest because there were no integrated TV sets that supported it, the problem of multiple tuners (including a recorder), and I figured out how to pull in all my local stations with a fixed antenna.

My converter box has the option of using one. I'm curious too how smart antennas adjust themselves? Does the converter box do the adjusting or does the antenna itself control the adjusting?
The tuner/converter controls the antenna and monitors the received signal, adjusting the antenna for the best reception on each individual channel.

There aren't many available on the market, and for VHF the Sylvania/Funai DTA-5000 probably is the best candidate (it has the longest elements). The user known as holl_ands has written about smart antennas on the avsforum.com site. There is a dedicated thread there:

The Official AVS 'Smart Antenna' topic - AVS Forum

He also contributes to a San Diego based site:

http://hdtv.forsandiego.com/

With any luck, there may have been some new products introduced on the market since the beginning of the year, though I haven't heard of any.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your OTA reception.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I'm not too far from broadcast towers, but I have problems sometimes picking up VHF channels. Anyone ever try a smart antenna? My converter box has the option of using one. I'm curious too how smart antennas adjust themselves? Does the converter box do the adjusting or does the antenna itself control the adjusting?

Sorry for all of the questions. I know absolutely zero about TV antennas.
As flcs3 says, go to TV Fool enter your address and how high the indoor antenna is above ground. The on the results page, there is a link in bold to share on forums like this.

If you live really close to the towers you may have too much antenna now, depending on what you are using. So do you know the name and model of the antenna you are now using where the VHF breaks up?