Question: So close to perfect... Sometimes.

dirtybug

DTVUSA Rookie
Fool report below,
I've got the famous 150 mile China antenna mounted in my attic with its amp. we get most of the channels listed at 93* but never 6 or 12 others like 29 and 61 are perfect sometimes and nonexistent at others.
I would love to get a better antenna amp combo that'd give us some reliability while watching.
Hope to stay with attic mount, which seems to almost work now. House is a junk new construction type with vinyl siding.
Thanks for any recommendations.
TV Fool
Edited to add.. We are in the woods and have some trees between us and civilization.

Last edited:
The reality of your situation is you need an all band TV antenna as you have a real channel 6, and 2 both are low VHF.
12 is high VHF. There are very few antennas currently available that cover real channels 2-6. There are not a lot of locations where real channels 2-6 are currently in use. An antenna that is built to cover those channels will be wide.
With out getting into a real monster of an antenna about the only thing currently on the market Would be the Channel Master 3016, 3018, or one of the Channel Master Masterpiece series antennas.
I would suggest the CM 3016.
Channel Master CM3016 Suburban Advantage TV Antenna (CM-3016) from Solid Signal
Out doors is always best. 2Edge signals with trees can require some experimentation with placement.
Steve

dirtybug

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks I'll look those up. Will I be sacrificing anything on the other signals with those antenna by trying for 2 and 6? If there's a better one for everything else I could live without those, 12 would be really good to have and reliability on the others is top priority.

From your post and others I've started to wonder if there is not a temperature sensitive component in those Chinese junk antennas. If your problem is caused by wind and trees it could be difficult if not impossible to solve.
If you don't want 6, and 2, but still want 12 you will need a dual band High VHF/UHF antenna. 12 is the only high VHF signal on the list that is likely to be receivable. There are several dual band antennas on the market.
Winegard HD7697 High Definition VHF/UHF Series TV Antenna (HD7697P) from Solid Signal
Winegard VHF/UHF HDTV Antenna (HD7694P) from Solid Signal
Stellar Labs VHF/UHF HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Antenna | 30-2440 (302440) | Stellar Labs
It depends upon how hard you want to try to get WHYY 12, and how much money your willing to spend trying.
If you simply want better reception of the signals you have already received you only need a UHF antenna. While there are a lot of good UHF antennas on the market I'll suggest this one based upon price.
Stellar Labs HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Television Antenna | 30-2155 (302155) | Stellar Labs
Your signals are not line of sight, but 2Edge which means they must pass over 2 terrain obstructions. Antenna placement can be critical. Higher is normally better, but not always with non line of sight signals. One could always try a home built dipole cut for channel 6 coupled to the antenna using a HLSJ.
Steve

dirtybug

DTVUSA Rookie
Update as of today.
Out of curiosity I decided to try my chinatenna outside mounted on a twenty foot pole. Surprisingly it did worse and I got fewer channels, however when I took it of the mast and tossed it in the yard still connected and went inside all the channels I originally had came in crystal clear and ion 61 showed up and came in perfect! When I went back outside the antenna was aimed 20-30 degrees north of where it should and 45 degrees up at the sky it stayed this way for a week so I decided to put a j pole on the garage roof and mounted it up there, 61 disappeared but everything else was still perfect. Being a junk antenna I assumed just touching it could be causing the changes and loss of 61 which is one channel I really want so I ordered the STELLAR-LABS vhf uhf and put that up on the j pole. Been playing with aiming it all day and have never gotten a glimpse of 61 and the others are slightly intermittent including channel 6 which I never got before and shouldnt get with this antenna. .??
Paying for cable again is looking better and better.