So is cable in digital or not?

We have Cox service. Purchased a TV yesterday that can do HD but we can't seem to get anything other than regular stuff on TV. I know everything is connected fine so it's not that something is wrong there.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
We have Cox service. Purchased a TV yesterday that can do HD but we can't seem to get anything other than regular stuff on TV. I know everything is connected fine so it's not that something is wrong there.
Welcome to the forum. Did you purchase the HD programming package? If not then you would only receive SD programming.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. Did you purchase the HD programming package? If not then you would only receive SD programming.
Exactly, plus some cable companies do have your local channels in both analog SD and if you scan all the QAM channels you might find them there. Many companies send the locals in HD on QAM even with the most basic packages, but not all of them. You can just try a channel scan with the TV set to QAM (TVs varies on how one does this) or call Cox and ask them.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
If your HDTV supports this, a cable card might be the cheapest way to go on some cable systems. Some systems might require you to have an HD set top box to get all that you can get that you are entitled to. It's hard to tell unless you ask them. You might ask them then come back here before you make a final decision.

One thing is for sure, with cable, do not hook up the TV using a basic antenna wire (co-ax) from the set top box. You will either use component / with RCA stereo for sound or a digital sound connection or HDMI takes care of everything (picture and surround sound) or a DVI connection (picture only, you need to add the sound using RCA or digital connections).

I scanned the channels and found our regular channels in HD on different channels than the normal which I think are QAM after doing some research. I called Cox and they said it would cost $15/month more to get a DVR and have more HD channels. Think i'll hold off for a while on that. Is there any other way to get a few more HD channels?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
If you're already scanned for digital channels, the ones you found are the ones that are available to you without adding an advanced service that will provide you decryption services.

tj716

DTVUSA Member
Getting the 15.00 add on really wouldn't get you anymore HD Channels we have all the channels minus the ppv ones and what we do get in HD is just the run of the mill abc cbs nbc type ones, nothing in the cinemax, hbo or starz or anything like that in HD.

I scanned the channels and found our regular channels in HD on different channels than the normal which I think are QAM after doing some research. I called Cox and they said it would cost $15/month more to get a DVR and have more HD channels. Think i'll hold off for a while on that. Is there any other way to get a few more HD channels?
Depending on where you live, you should look into local Over The Air broadcast television. You should expect to gain some additional channels locally. Dish and Direct don't provide all of the locals that are available in HD. Satellite only provides HD for 4 networks: ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox. There is much more available in most markets.