So Utterly Confused....

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Ok, normally my ob appts are fine. Well last time I went in they did a crap load of blood work. So today we talked about it. Everything came back great, but the one thing that sent me over the edge was the fact that my doctor told me I am O+. Now I have been told all my life I am A+. So needless to say, I had a huge panic attack in her office then freaked out even more on the way home. Normally someone would not freak out over something like that but, I did. To be honest I am really not sure why I freaked out so bad. Now my mother is A+ and my dad is O- if I remember right. But I don't understand how I am always told I am A+ and then find out I am O+

That is strange and I would have probably had a panic attack as well. Especially since I suffer from Anxiety, panic attacks are normal for me. Let's just say I know from lots of experience , panic attacks are not fun and rather annoying to go through. Anyhow the sad thing is I forgot what my blood type is and next time I go , I am going to ask the doctor if she can tell me what my type is again . Maybe you should ask her the next time you go and she may have an explanation for you or she may not. I'm currently in medical schooling and if I find my Anatomy Book. I will look through the book and look up the blood types than tell you if they say something about the blood types. It could be possible that your blood type switched on you, or maybe it comes from the fact that you have one parent with A+ and the other O-. But I am no doctor , so I couldn't tell you the exact reason except her. I'm just trying to help you figure it out based on the brief information I was given in Anatomy class. Well I hope you find out the reason behind it, if there is any a serious reason for it. Who knows?

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Well all she told me was that it was what the laboratory sent up. I even went down to the laboratory and asked them if they could have been wrong. They showed me that they have the vile labeled with your name and a number. So they don't get mixed up. But I just don't know.

If you are really worried about it I would get a second opinion. Go to the local health clinic or find a walk in clinic to get the blood check done. Then you can compare the results and see what is what.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Ya, I am going to do just that SJ Coryell. I also called my mother and now my mother is actually going to have my other three siblings re-tested just to find out. She actually laughed at me, which is not surprising, considering that my mom tries to make everything funny when it comes to me having attacks like that, because she knows me well enough to know that, if she actually plays it serious that will cause even more problems. But I did find out that because I am O+ I can basically help any of my kids and basically my husband if they need a blood transfusion. Which actually makes me kinda happy, knowing I can help them and they don't have to basically use someone else's blood. Ya, I know, a little weird to think like that but, so cool! LOL

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
Ya actually it is. I talked to my dad and we talked about him being o-, and the fact that I am o+. He also let me know that my youngest brother, who is 6 or 7 now, actually can't remember. Is o+ as well.

It was good to find out now. Although, if you ever needed a blood transfusion or anything that required your blood type they would test you first, even if its in the paper work they usually test first. But I really do understand your concern. I would get a second opinion to ease your mind but likely they are correct.