Solar Tsunami? Look Up Tonight for a Grand Show!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Coronal Mass Ejection or 'Solar Tsunami' to Make Aurora Borealis Light Show in North

From the article:

"A solar storm could make tonight a great night for stargazing.

The sun's surface erupted early Sunday and sent tons of plasma into space, according to the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. It's headed toward Earth, which could be in for a beautiful light show.

"This eruption is directed right at us, and is expected to get here early in the day on August 4th," astronomer Leon Golub of the astrophysics center, said in a statement. "It's the first major Earth-directed eruption in quite some time." ...

Sun storms may bring northern lights farther south

From the article:

"The sun may be about to put on a colorful light show.

That's because of two minor solar storms that flared on Sunday and are shooting tons of plasma directly at Earth.

Scientists said residents of northern regions — from Maine to Michigan and anywhere farther north around the globe — may see unusual northern lights." ...

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I remember one week a few years ago when the aurora was incredible... they were seen as far south as Vegas and Atlanta. (Well, not IN the cities, but outside them) Caused a lot of disruption in communications, too. From my backyard in upstate NY it covered the entire sky, north to south.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
I remember one week a few years ago when the aurora was incredible... they were seen as far south as Vegas and Atlanta. (Well, not IN the cities, but outside them) Caused a lot of disruption in communications, too. From my backyard in upstate NY it covered the entire sky, north to south.
Mr. Pogi,

I doubt OTA Television was interrupted at all, unlike satellite services. Correct?

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I am not so sure, because ionization of the upper atmosphere can have some strange affects. It can cause power line problems... think of an electromagnetic wave traveling along a wire - the power lines - much like a generator. There were some problems with power (especially in Canada) that time. It can also affect your reception by causing tropo - if the station that "skips" in is the same frequency as one of your local channels, it can take over that frequency.

I didn't have OTA the last time it happened really strong. As for satellite, it can take out satelites permanently. I'll be watching my reception this time!

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Images of Massive Sunspot Show Sun's Chaos

Images of Massive Sunspot Show Chaos and Energy of Sun

From the article:

"New images of a colossal sunspot show the chaos and energy on the surface of the Sun.

The images show the sunspot, which is larger than the Earth, resembling a giant sunflower. It may look pretty, but the image is shot through with black fibers that highlight the violence of the star." ...

... "The storms can be felt on Earth, almost 93 million miles away, affecting power systems and satellites.

Last month, the Sun sent out tons of plasma matter into space, an event that some dubbed a "solar tsunami." The tsunami created an incredible light display on Earth, with a green curtain of light being seen in skies above Michigan, according to The Daily Mail." ...

Last edited: