Solution for over-air problem

im usually great with electronics-related problems but ive been trying to come up with a solution to this problem for my family for months now and so far i havent been able to.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

so heres the setup my family (parents specifically) has currently:

--HDTV with ATSC tuner
--VCR
--regular indoor antenna and over the air reception (can pick up a couple digitals right now, but somewhat weak signal)

im trying to figure out whats the most direct way to get set up for digital, my parents want to be able to simply watch TV while recording shows at the same time just as they can now. however, all the converter boxes ive seen have to be manually changed with a remote or by buttons on the box when you want to pick up another channel, and my Dad wants to avoid that at all costs (he's lazy and doesnt want to either have to get up or have to use different remotes to change channels). i was therefore exploring the idea of using an IR blaster with the TiVo and trying to get it to change channels, but i couldnt get it to work with my Tivo.

i have a Series 2 TiVo box i could let them use if need be, and we got a digital converter box that we actually havent done anything with yet. help please?

Last edited:
im usually great with electronics-related problems but ive been trying to come up with a solution to this problem for my family for months now and so far i havent been able to.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

so heres the setup my family (parents specifically) has currently:

--HDTV with ATSC tuner
--VCR
--regular indoor antenna and over the air reception (can pick up a couple digitals right now, but somewhat weak signal)

im trying to figure out whats the most direct way to get set up for digital, my parents want to be able to simply watch TV while recording shows at the same time just as they can now. however, all the converter boxes ive seen have to be manually changed with a remote or by buttons on the box when you want to pick up another channel, and my Dad wants to avoid that at all costs (he's lazy and doesnt want to either have to get up or have to use different remotes to change channels). i was therefore exploring the idea of using an IR blaster with the TiVo and trying to get it to change channels, but i couldnt get it to work with my Tivo.

i have a Series 2 TiVo box i could let them use if need be, and we got a digital converter box that we actually havent done anything with yet. help please?
use the DTVpal-dvr fron dish network it has two tuners can watch one record another, there is no fee as with tvio and you don't have to have a dish account draw back cost is 249.00

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
ok, do you get it directly from Dish or where else can you get them? and is there other boxes with 2 tuners like that also (where you dont need a sub)?
I haven't been able to find any more information on who is selling the DTVPal DVR and for how much.

You may just want to get a regular converter box for the VCR since your TV already has a digital tuner. It's a more cost effective way rather than spending $$ on a dual tuner unit. The DTVPal Plus TR-40 and the Zinwell ZAT-970A both come featured with timers that you can set up that will change the channel at different times of the day, week, or month depending on what shows you want to watch. I think the Zinwell model has 8 timers that you can set, not sure how many the DTVPal has.

Last edited: