Sony KP-51HW40 Projection TV -- help with connectors!

Glimmere

DTVUSA Rookie
Let me first say that I'm horribly electronically illiterate. I need as basic as possible of an answer to my problem/question. I have the above-referenced TV set. I need to convert to digital and I bought a converter box, but it doesn't work. In looking in my manual, it says, "This projection TV is not compatible with digital TV receivers configured with RGB or VGA output connectors." It indicates that I need Y, PB and PR jacks. Is it as simple as finding a converter box with these jacks and if so, does anybody have a source, whereby I can see which brands make these and where I can get one? Again, please speak Electronics-For-Dummies, for me! Thanks!!

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Let me first say that I'm horribly electronically illiterate. I need as basic as possible of an answer to my problem/question. I have the above-referenced TV set. I need to convert to digital and I bought a converter box, but it doesn't work. In looking in my manual, it says, "This projection TV is not compatible with digital TV receivers configured with RGB or VGA output connectors." It indicates that I need Y, PB and PR jacks. Is it as simple as finding a converter box with these jacks and if so, does anybody have a source, whereby I can see which brands make these and where I can get one? Again, please speak Electronics-For-Dummies, for me! Thanks!!
Glimmere, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. The simplest,but with the worst picture is to connect the converter box (CECB) using the black coaxial cable from the antenna to the antenna input on the CECB. Then connect the coaxial cable from the TV output of the CECB to the antenna input on your TV.

I personally wouldn't use the above choice for my TV. I would instead recommend purchasing a Dish Network DTVPal DVR for $249.00 here
DTVPal by DISH Network I own one and am quite pleased with it.

The Dish Network will give you high definition television using the signal received from your antenna. You connect from the Dish Network DVR to the TV using a component cable that is included with the DVR. Good Luck and please respond with wany questions you may have.
Your TV has 2 component inputs on the back. One for a DVD player and one for the HD tuner.
The two component-video inputs will accept signals at 480i, 480p, 1080i, and 720p.
Sony KP-51HW40 Widescreen HD-Ready TV -- High-Ticket Ride to the Video Future - Sony KP-51HW40 51 in. TV - Epinions.com