Sony to Launch OTA Movie Channel

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Sony Pictures Television is jumping into the subchannel business with the digital network GetTV, which will launch this fall on Univision stations in 24 markets, including in 17 of the top 20 DMAs. It will be available in 44% of U.S. TV homes. Sony is actively selling GetTV to other station groups.

The diginet will air old movies from Sony’s library of some 3,500 films, including Lawrence of Arabia and The Bridge on the River Kwai.

“The over-the-air market provided a significant growth opportunity for our channels business,” Andy Kaplan, president of worldwide networks at Sony Pictures Television, said in a statement. “We recognize the demand for premium content that appeals to audiences of all ages, which is exactly what GetTV will offer.”
GetTV will be Univision’s second venture into English-language subchannels. It has begun to launch African-American diginet Bounce TV in some of its markets.

“Univision has such strong ratings that there is a high, if not a definite possibility that all the GetTV channels will be on cable television,” Kokernak says.
Read More: http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/66984/sony-pictures-tv-to-launch-movies-diginet

I may be reading more into it than there was but "Bounce" was down Friday and Saturday this week. Could it be that KTFD was getting ready to add "GetTV." Either way, I'm hoping to see it this fall.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
No news on WHAT markets, is there? I searched, but came up empty.

I would love getTV network or the Movies! channel (Fox O&Os, Weigel Launch Movies! Digi-Net - 2013-01-28 18:58:33 | Broadcasting & Cable) but I can't get Univision due to it being a 2-edge signal @ 74 miles with strong co-channel from translators in exactly the same direction.

On a somewhat related note; I've said it before, I'll say it again: DTV supports both CC and SAP... why don't Spanish-language channels take advantage of it? They could increase their audience share and therefore charge more for ads.