Sound Bars?

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
In case anyone was wondering, sound bars are legit. I have a Samsung one with a subwoofer, an average priced one, and it works fantastic. Those low volume dialogues in movies don't give me any trouble to hear anymore, even when the volume is low.

And that scene when the Enterprise rises out of the water in Into Darkness sounds aMaZiNg.

Good to know, I've been trying to decided if I was going to risk the purchase. Bose has one that sounds amazing in the store. It clearly has the lovely price tag to go with it. Glad to know there are good affordable ones out there.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
The built-in speakers in every TV set I have every had are an "afterthought" - I can almost hear the manufacturers "I suppose we could put a speaker in it, too".

One of the biggest problems with movies on TV for me is that the dialog is overpowered by the music soundtrack. This is usually the result of a bad stereo mixdown of the original 5.1 or 7.1 channel soundtrack. When you add a soundbar with a center channel, it brings the dialog back to front and center.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
The built-in speakers in every TV set I have every had are an "afterthought" - I can almost hear the manufacturers "I suppose we could put a speaker in it, too".
Yeah, it used to make me mad that TVs come with such crappy speakers, but I don't mind as much anymore because I figure they have their reasons. Two reasons are probably that (1) screens are getting thinner and thinner, they aren't thick enough for good sound anyway, so why bother? and (2) to have the ability to keep TV prices down. It's probably the same reasons that good computer monitors come without any sound at all.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
That's great to know that sound bars help with dialogue, because I was thinking of getting a soundbar, as soon as it is in my budget anyway... what do you recommend people look for when purchasing one?

James

DTVUSA Member
Soundbars are pure compromise but if it works for you. Small inexpensive speakers designed to fit into a skinny piece of plastic that resembles one side of a TV case...wait...did they just cut off the side or bottom of a TV and sell it to me? Kinda. It is made to pan left and right to give you a little bit of "surround". Well..definitely NOT surround since the speakers are sitting in front of you. IF you are going for a sound bar get the largest biggest one you can find and a subwoofer. But my advice is ONLY to someone who really cares about sound quality and can ONLY have a sound bar.

Cheap, under $200 are pretty poor. You won't know until you actually compare. It is one of those things you can't know until you experience it. The masses suck up the Walmart sound bars because they are affordable but in reality no better than most TV speakers today.

Here is a decent Soundbar with a built-in sub

This one will change the way you think of television

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I don't have a sound bar or surround sound. The speakers built into TV sets are pathetic! If I were to add a sound system, it would be either:

A. The cheap version, a soundbar with right/left/center speakers and subwoofer - preferably a wireless sub, so I can kind of hide it inside my media center.
or -
B. A full on surround sound system with separate amp, 5.1 surround (7.1 is overkill IMHO)

James

DTVUSA Member
I don't have a sound bar or surround sound. The speakers built into TV sets are pathetic! If I were to add a sound system, it would be either:

A. The cheap version, a soundbar with right/left/center speakers and subwoofer - preferably a wireless sub, so I can kind of hide it inside my media center.
or -
B. A full on surround sound system with separate amp, 5.1 surround (7.1 is overkill IMHO)
You could get some vibrations from the sub inside your cabinet. But you will find out when you try:popcorn: