Sound is gone

trend67

DTVUSA Jr. Member
for 2 days now the sound has gone, except for a background noise similar to music... it doesn't happen on all channels, but tonight on abc watching impact... sound was gone. I read captions. cbs sound is barely audible but could make it out... most other channels are normal.. Is the problem the tv, the digital converter, the station, or what... Any thoughts? Thank you...

Piggie

Super Moderator
All stations in your area are not likely to have a problem at the same time. Plus they would fix it asap.

It's not a reception problem. DTV is a data stream. You either receive the data stream or not and it contains both picture and sound, not like the old days when they were separate transmitters.

It is either you decoder box or a cable going to the TV.

One thing to check is tune the TV to some channel and if it's an older one you should hear static. Some of the newer even analog TV's though mute when there is no signal.

Also most converter boxes have a volume control on them as well. So make sure it's turned up as well as the sound on your TV.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
are you using a converter box or are you having problems with your TV w/ a digital tuner?

If you have a converter box, have you tried adjusting the volume up on your converter box remote?

trend67

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I am using the converter box and have been using since before first digital deadline with no problems until this past weekend.. and yes, I did try turning up the volume on the converter box remote. Last night after posting I was trying everything and turned off remote and was trying to see if i could get tv sound without box. I couldn't, so I turned converter box back on and sound was there. Maybe I just have to turn off and then on again for it to come back.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Try unplugging it from the wall for a minute or so, and also try removing your audio and video connections and then reconnecting them. Are you using RCA or coaxial to connect A/V?

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Here's one you haven't probably considered.

Some stations transmit a second audio program usually reserved for Spanish or Descriptive Audio Track for the blind.

The converter was probably selected to the second audio program, which had dead air in it.

That's got to be just as annoying as having the closed captions come on when you don't want them.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Here's one you haven't probably considered.

Some stations transmit a second audio program usually reserved for Spanish or Descriptive Audio Track for the blind.

The converter was probably selected to the second audio program, which had dead air in it.

That's got to be just as annoying as having the closed captions come on when you don't want them.
Is it the SAP button you're talking about? I assume they're still using this function for spanish speaking viewers with digital signals...

trend67

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Is it the SAP button you're talking about? I assume they're still using this function for spanish speaking viewers with digital signals...
You know you all might have hit on the problem. I'm hard of hearing so I use the English caption. The last time this happened I turned off the converter and then back on, and it worked. So probably dead aid.

trend67

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Try unplugging it from the wall for a minute or so, and also try removing your audio and video connections and then reconnecting them. Are you using RCA or coaxial to connect A/V?
I turned off converter and then back on and it worked. Probably temporarily. I'll try unplugging and see what happens. Thanks for all the suggestions.

This may be related but once our own ABC (WEHT-DT 25.1) channel had the very same problem during the movie playing of Stuart Little you got the instrumental audio track but zero dialog. commercials were fine. but no dialog audio from that movie at that particular time.

I tried mono, stereo, SAP on, off, A/V out, my VCR, but nope. it was a temporary condition at that time.

IF you were getting the DVS service (Descriptive Video) you'd have the normal sound but also a 'play-by-play voice' in the background narrating the entire works. example. if you were watching 'Curious George' you'd hear 'George turns his head and talks' along with the normal dialog of the show. sadly on converters, if you are hearing DVS Service there's nothing you can do about it, since i hear it when the SAP function is off. or on. doesn't make any difference.

But what you're having issues with appears to be at the channel's end, not yours.