Southern NJ - New House, Multiple Antennas, & Trying to Figure Things Out

Necromancyr

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Going to use the same format I used last time I requested some assistance that worked so well.

What is your primary objective (check the line applicable) :
I don’t want to spend much, just want a few Local Stations:_X_
I want as many as I can reasonably get:_X__
I want the best system I can, to replace my Cable/Satellite Service:_X__

Main Assembly:
What kind of Terrestrial Antenna do you presently have: Unknown. Two LARGE antenna's are present. One Bowtie (8 'bowties' across 4 panels and one large, VHF directional antenna that looks like an RCA ANT751 but HUGE - like 8 feet long). They were both in the house when I moved in.

Is the Antenna to be/or installed: Attic (~25 ft, '3rd' floor)
Do you have an Antenna Rotator: No.
Are you presently using a Pre-Amplifier: Yes. Qitar RAMP1020, was already installed in the attic.

Interior:
How many linear Cable feet is it between your Antenna and the most far TV: Unknown, but varies between TV's. Guessing 50-150, depending on location.

How many TV sets will be/are presently being used, on this system: 2-3.

How many Splitters are in use in your system: 2-3 due to runs of cables outside house to get wiring everywhere. Best case location is 1 splitter before a TV. Worst case is 4 splitters before a TV tuner card. There is a MoCA network on the same cabling.

Are you using a Distribution Amplifier: No.

Additional Information:
Are you/do you plan to integrate Cable or Satellite Services with this system: No.

Is there anything else you would like to provide concerning construction, obstructions or geographical issues? There is an HVAC unit in the attic as well. Also, I currently am using a standard splitter to merge the VHF and UHF antenna signals together.

Do you have a current Chart for the Free Local TV Channels in your Area?
TV Fool

All channels come in above -70dbm are tuned in (~48-49 channels total, w/subchannels), except for 43 (actual channel). I'm wondering if this is the expected or there's more I can do to get additional channels, if I should get a UHF/VHF combiner to get more channels, etc. The reality is the other channels may not be worth the hassle (or have any decent content) but I wanted to just see if there's anything I can do to optimize my setup. My VHF antenna is pointing NE, just due to how big the thing is and the shape of my house. Not certain I can realign it. Also, I have a smaller RCA ANT751 that I could hookup in a better direction, but not certain it would get me anything.

The channels I get now are: (virtuals, just copying from my PVR app):

You are doing so good that my first answer would be if it's not broke don't fix it. Of course you can try to improve it. I would, but I'd probably screw it up at first and spend a month or longer getting it working again.
Steve

Necromancyr

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Basically it looks like, from rabbitears.info, that I'm able to get anything over -40dBm. Not sure if that's reasonable or not. I'd like to get a PBS channel that's close (-48) but thinking it may not be worth it.