Special uses for a Sub-channel

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Today, the four Cops that were murdered last week in Lakewood, Washington are having their memorial service. An estimated twenty thousand Police officers and Firemen from around the United States :usa2: and Canada :canada: are attending, and its very impressive and emotionally moving.

CBS KIRO-7 (39) elected to suspend their usual network telecasts and have been covering this since early this morning. (Almost 8 hrs of continual coverage, so far) What's interesting, is they have dropped RTV for the day and are using their 7.2 sub-channel for the CBS network feed.

I'd like to know if this is a first around the Country or only the first I've heard of something like this.
Jim

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I don't know; wasn't watching, but it makes sense. Things like that happen around here where a major channel controls a minor one. Our Ch. 3 owns Ch. 4 and Ch. 13 owns Ch. 12. Both of these stations have used the owned station to either carry their programming while running a special event like you mentioned or to carry the special event. They've also gone back and forth with who carries what.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I'd like to know if this is a first around the Country or only the first I've heard of something like this.
Jim
Once in Orlando, and Trip probably remembers verbatim but I remember something happening on Orlando with a technical failure or antenna move and one of the stations used their sister station to run their main feed on the sister's sub.

It sorta happened in NO post Katrina. Stations that were left intact had competitors on the subchannels. I can't remember which or who but if CBS lost their tower etc, Fox would run the local CBS on it's sub.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I don't remember Orlando but I do remember New Orleans. WDSU ended up on a subchannel of WHNO and WGNO/WNOL ended up on subchannels of WPXL.

- Trip