Question: Specific Reception Issue: Help!

digital_zero

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have a digital television that was directly connected to my antenna(outdoor). It was connected with a cable length of approximately 20 feet. After a year, I have finally run a cable from the antenna around to a break-out-box (splitter) in my garage to run the signal to all rooms. It (the cable) is now approximately 100 ft. My exact configuration is Antenna > antenna amplifer >> coax >> amplifier >> coax >> television set. My issue is that I used to receive all of the 10 channels broadcasted in my area but now I only receive one? I have ran all checks on my TV for digital and analog channels but only one shows up. As shown on fcc.gov, the channel that I receive is not the strongest? Why can I not receive the other channels I used to get, especially the stronger ones?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: digital_zero,

There are many reasons why you may have lost so many channels. For us to be able to help you better, please go to the TVFOOL link here: TV Fool and enter your address or GPS location as well as your antenna height. Then, return here and post the URL of the resulting survey. The TVFOOL website will automatically conceal your address.

My first guess is you are over-amplifying the signals from your antenna, resulting in far too much signal for your TV set to decipher. Amplifiers also amplify noise, and the primary goal with OTA reception is capturing 'clean' signals, not strong signals. I receive a 2-edge signal from a station over 75 miles away on an antenna with roughly 100 feet of coax, split 4-ways using no amplifiers at all.

The splitter you are using may be defective. The coax you are using should be RG-6 which has half the signal loss of RG-59 and in outdoor settings, older coax may become waterlogged or break down.

Jim

Last edited:

digital_zero

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Your theory is concrete. I tried disconnecting the amplifier and had no channel detection. The major signals are within 75 miles. I tried to recieve lower (more distant) signal strength once I re-connected the amplifier. No reception. I wonder if, which I dont want to do, the could be a calculation of how much cable could be used based on the amplifier to put it at maximum signal reception to the TV? This should be more simple, which I hope. Correction, the connection is: antenna > antenna amplifier > 100 ft coax >> dc antenna power box (channel master) >> amplifier >> splitter >> main room, bedroom, etc..

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
digital_zero,

You said you disconnected your 'distribution' amplifier and now you receive no signals. That suggests to me, your antenna PRE-amplifier (needed or not) is either not functioning or it is amplifying something else beyond clean DTV signals including your neighbors (could be miles away) noise ... even from a commercial rooftop air conditioner.

To repeat, in a way: I receive a 560,000 watt station 75+ miles away, 2-edge (actually a dozen-edge) using about 100 feet of coax split 4-ways and I use NO amplifiers. I also receive a 1-edge 300 watt translator from about 40 miles away using NO amplifiers.

What you started with was fine and it worked for you: an antenna with 20 feet of coax (hopefully using good quality RG-6).

Now, you have an antenna pre-amplifier, 100 feet of unknown coax, a distribution amplifier, an unknown splitter and the result ............ the loss of 9 of 10 channels.

Let's get back to the basics: we need your TVFOOL report to recommend ANYthing else.

Please post your TVFOOL report. Although not a perfect report, the 'potential signal strengths' for channels will tell us in a heartbeat, if your amplifier/s are necessary at all.

Next: what are you using for an antenna?

Jim

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Try removing everything you added, (go back to your original setup) and add things back ONE AT A TIME. This will help you find your weak link.

Also, what amp are you using?

digital_zero

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hope this is what you wanted: TV Fool.
After typing for an hour, my session timed out and I lost every detail I had written. Kind of pissed so here is the short version.
Rooftop antenna with attached pre-amp. Approximately 100 ft of RG-6 into the power supply for it...
Channel Master® Spartan 3 Amplifier Antenna (0068D SB) - Antennaes & Hardware - Ace Hardware
from there, I had connected a single in - single out amplifier (10dB) after that in which there is no channel reception with it bypassed and only channel 8.1 (ch22) if it is connected. From there, I have a 1-4way splitter (-7.4dB)...from the wall, its directly connected to the TV (CRT with digital tuner built in). Thank you again for the assistance in advance as well as the help already.

digital_zero

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hope this is what you wanted as a report:
TV Fool

Im using a large rooftop antenna with a Channel Master Pre-Amp (PN# 0747). (Antenna is directional and pointing towards the local transmission area of Richmond. Before changing my setup, I used to receive Washington DC channels when pointing in their direction.) Then 100ft of RG-6 to the Pre-amp power supply. From there I have a standard single-in to single-out 10dB amp which is connected to a 4-way splitter (-7.4dB). In wall cable to my TV.Only recieve Channel 8.1 (Ch 22), no others.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
TVfool looks good... You should be getting all your channels at 235 degrees magnetic. You should have no trouble with your setup.

I'd still say, go back through and undo what you did, and try several configurations to track down the problem. Example: go back to JUST the 20' cable you had before, then try swapping out the 20' for your 100' cable. If its all good still, put in the splitter. Still good? add the amp.

Eventually you'll locate the problem.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
digital_zero,

Your TVFOOL report is quite promising and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could receive stations from more than one direction.

How old is your 100' length of coax? Did you install the 'F' fittings yourself or are they factory installed? At any time when running the coax, did it become kinked. Does the coax bend around corners more tightly than a 4" radius? Are the outdoor fittings waterproofed (is there a chance the coax is waterlogged)? At any time did the new coax 'tug' on the antenna-mounted balun and possibly damage it? (I discovered exactly that issue here on one of my antennas, this past summer).

I suggest you start from scratch, remove the pre-amp and amp and run the 100' coax from your antenna directly to one TV to see what you can receive: if it doesn't work, go back to the 20' run. If it does work, add the 4-way splitter: even without being connected to other TV sets, it will attenuate your signals: if nothing gets thru, there's your problem. One step at a time.

Jim

Where is the power supply for the Channel Master 0068 preamp located? It seems as though the preamp is not working & blocking the signal. The preamp should easily be enough to power 4 sets & the additional 10db amp is not needed/recommended with the signal strengths at your location.