Specs on the RCA DTA 800B and a small review

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Had a chance to view the RCA DTA 800B converter box up close today (8/24/08) at Walmart as well as the Memorex MVCB1000. The DTA 800B retailed for $49.99 before discounting with a $40 government converter box coupon, which would bring the total price down to $9.99 without taxes.

What's nice about the RCA model is that you can stand it vertically on it's side, so those with tight space requirements may want to consider this unit. The unit itself is about the same size as a 300-400 page book.

RCA has a website specifically for DTV and this converter box although it doesn't provide a lot of specs on it... Keep My TV :: RCA DTA800 Converter

Specs from ProductWiki:
Features

• Composite or Coaxial output
  • On-Screen Program Guide
  • Parental Control
  • Analog-Pass Through
  • Remote and Connection Cable Included

I have installed many of these boxes. They work extremely well with antennas which have rotators, because you can rescan from different directions and add those channels to the list, picture quality is good and also sound. the magnavox that walmart sells will not work with a rotator as when you rescan it write a new channel list. also video is not as good. :)

Sparks

DTVUSA Member
I have never owned one of these but I have installed a few of them for neighbors. I noticed that the program guide was very basic as compared to some of the other converter boxes. According to the ratings listed on various web sites the RCA box does not have the ability to pull in the more distant or weaker signal as well as with some of the other boxes.

The RCA box came with all of the necessary wires, remote control and batteries needed for installation. Once turned on it pretty much set it self up to view the available stations. The ones that I set up also had the analog pass through feature so that the viewers could easily change to satellite, analog TV and back to digital.

JJackson

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Once turned on it pretty much set it self up to view the available stations. The ones that I set up also had the analog pass through feature so that the viewers could easily change to satellite, analog TV and back to digital.
It took me a few minutes to figure out how to set up the DTA because there was no basic setup guide. Which DTA has the analog pass through feature?? Is it the DTA 800B? Mine didn't come with it.