Star Trek (2009) Blu-Ray

Anybody own it? Any good? I saw a review in a magazine a month or so back calling it the "best movie of all time". Thinking about adding it to my collection today if I can find a deal. :)

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
As a Star Trek fan, I abhor that movie. Casting was good, hated the rest.

It was less "Star Trek" as much as it was an action movie in space with Star Trek characters. Completely the opposite of what Star Trek has ever stood for. Gene Roddenberry rolled over in his grave.

- Trip

Last edited:
As a Star Trek fan, I abhor that movie. Casting was good, hated the rest.

It was less "Star Trek" as much as it was an action movie in space with Star Trek characters. Completely the opposite of what Star Trek has ever stood for. Gene Roddenberry rolled over in his grave.

- Trip
I was afraid of that with J.J. Abrams as the director. Don't know if you saw this yet, JJ Abrams Approached Matt Damon for Star Trek… But NOT for the Role of James T Kirk | /Film J.J. Abrams wanted Matt Damon to play the father of James T. Kirk. :pop2:

Thomas G

Contributor
HTN,

I agree with Trip, weak characters and plot.

Will I buy it...Probably, but, just as a continuation of the set.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.
It's tough finding a science fiction movie with a good plot and good action scenes these days for home theaters. You either get one or the other. I'm hoping "The Avatar" is going to be good because the previews for the special effects look amazing.

SWHouston

Staff member
HTN,

I'm not sure if this is the place to continue this but...

As far as the portrayal of the Characters (not the Actor specifically).
Save for Chekhov (he made me believe he really could be Chekhov), I didn't make ANY connection between this Movie, and the "standard/set" personalities of the former Cast as portrayed.

I kept on thinking, "gees, that's not Spock, or that's not Kirk", who are they trying to kid. Like that.
You see/understand what I mean ?

I don't think that any of them (except for the actor who portrayed Chekhov), have actually seen a Star Trek Episode or Movie !

S.W.

Last edited:
The thing that I noticed in this movie was there was a lot more youthful exuberance than what was originally seen in the original tv series. Since we're seeing how things started off with the characters being much younger, I wonder if that's what is putting off some people. Me? I liked the movie.

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
I thought it was ok. It would make a good addition to anyone's blu-ray collection. I can't wait to see Avatar as well, probably won't watch it that the theater though. I enjoy watching movies 10x better over the typical sticky floor, crying kids, and rude guy kick you in the back of your seat movie experience.

SWHouston

Staff member
SWHouston: Views on The Star Trek Movie

Oh, I liked the Movie too, I just reserve the right to complain about it, since I've been watching Trek since it aired in the 60's.
I'd be proud in one Theater, and embarrassed in another, to admit how many times I've sat through every episode and Movies !
I've earned my seat on the Panel ! :gramps:

I just want to get this out of the way first...
I don't mind seeing Actors shift jobs, like Tapping, Robbins and Heyerdahl from SG1-Atlantis-Sanctuary,
or Avari in SG1 Movie-Voyager-NYPD-a billion others, but....
I hope I NEVER see (if even by loyalty) Claudia Black and Joe Flanigan on the same screen at the same time, EVER AGAIN !
Farscape/Atlantis..enough is enough ! :Cry:

I'm so fed up with their protagonistic snippyness, I could throw up ! :flush:

I think the young Actors did a good job, read their lines and I don't blame them for it, however...
The Directors and Casting must have taken no longer than ten minutes, to sift through the cheapest guys on the list, rather than taking their time and selecting someone(s) who could portray those roles, with some similarity to the original(s).

Besides Mt. Rushmore, Star Trek is the closest thing to a National Monument that exists, and I for one, DEMAND some continuity to it, and not some haphazard approach, to just keeping a hand in the Movie mill.

Now, on top of this (# XI I think, have I missed a few ?), we got another one coming...CRM, CMA, something like that ??

S.W.

That Trekie enough for ya HTN :D :D

Last edited:

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Oh, I liked the Movie too, I just reserve the right to complain about it, since I've been watching Trek since it aired in the 60's.
I'd be proud in one Theater, and embarrassed in another, to admit how many times I've sat through every episode and Movies !
I've earned my seat on the Panel ! :gramps:

I just want to get this out of the way first...
I don't mind seeing Actors shift jobs, like Tapping, Robbins and Heyerdahl from SG1-Atlantis-Sanctuary,
or Avari in SG1 Movie-Voyager-NYPD-a billion others, but....
I hope I NEVER see (if even by loyalty) Claudia Black and Joe Flanigan on the same screen at the same time, EVER AGAIN !
Farscape/Atlantis..enough is enough ! :Cry:

I'm so fed up with their protagonistic snippyness, I could throw up ! :flush:

I think the young Actors did a good job, read their lines and I don't blame them for it, however...
The Directors and Casting must have taken no longer than ten minutes, to sift through the cheapest guys on the list, rather than taking their time and selecting someone(s) who could portray those roles, with some similarity to the original(s).

Besides Mt. Rushmore, Star Trek is the closest thing to a National Monument that exists, and I for one, DEMAND some continuity to it, and not some haphazard approach, to just keeping a hand in the Movie mill.

Now, on top of this (# XI I think, have I missed a few ?), we got another one coming...CRM, CMA, something like that ??

S.W.

Though it doesn't rank anywhere close in size to the Star Trek franchise, I feel the same way about Terminator and Batman. IMHO, the first consideration when choosing a new director is whether or not they've watched the first few movies of the franchise. Especially if they're making a prequel. :boxing:

SWHouston

Staff member
CptlA,

HA :D, gees did you hit that one on the Head ! :cheer2:

I don't think that any of them even saw one Episode of Trek, before the jumped off into it.

Once I got into the Movie a little, and decided they weren't doing even a fair job of it, I sorta disconnected from trying to make them be Kirk and Spock, and really, enjoyed the Movie, save for a little Plot issue.

Rank, pshaw !, whatever trips your trigger !
Though I'd classify Terminator and Batman as "Futuristic" rather than "SiFi", I have several of those movies on the shelf, and have enjoyed them too. But from a personal "janara"... get me off this Earth, and into Space ! :whoo:

S.W.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
oh you're Trekkie SW but not hardcore Trekkie. ;) Aren't there like 5 different leagues of Trekkie anyway?

Someone posted this pic (of attendees) on another forum I frequent a year or so back from a Star Trek convention they attended. Now this is hard core trekkie.

S.W.

lol. Ok, you get a few extra Trekie points for calling Star Trek a National Monument, but your rant is very valid along with Cptl A's. I've seen quite a mix of mediocre movie releases over the past 5 years in both SciFi and Fantasy type plots. Heck, these days I think I enjoy watching more chick flicks with my wife than some of the scifi crap to hit the big screen this last year.

oh you're Trekkie SW but not hardcore Trekkie. ;) Aren't there like 5 different leagues of Trekkie anyway?

Someone posted this pic (of attendees) on another forum I frequent a year or so back from a Star Trek convention they attended. Now this is hard core trekkie.

Who knew Vulcan's carried roller briefcases?? :clown:

SWHouston

Staff member
Aaron,

Sorrowfully, I admit I do not costume, nor, have I ever been to a Convention.
BUT, being a Trekkie at heart, should count for something ! :D :D

HTN,
You're SO right, as CplA, I have "counted on" and enjoyed viewing the Futuristic, waiting my lust for a genuinely good Trek continuation or comparison.
Much of the viewing called SiFi today, are nothing more than a take off on "Days of our Lives", and promoted as SiFi, just because someone saw a UFO once ! :dizzy:

Given your (I presume) general Focus on the Wars series, I'd like your comment on this...

As you've seen in my Post here, I'm a bit disenchanted in the portrayal of the Characters in this new Star Trek Movie, and have a couple of suggestions, about an alternate actor for young Spock. Do you remember...
Hayden Christensen
who played young Anakin Skywalker in the Wars II/III, or...
Manu Intiraymi
who played the X-Borg Icheb in Voyager.

Given what I've seen of both of these guys "starchy" demeanor, would have placed them well above the chosen.
Your thoughts ?

S.W.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Did I tell you about the time I ended up (unbeknownst to me) staying at the hotel with the Star Trek convention, after attending a Grateful Dead concert with a head full of sugar cube?

I totally tripped out when the elevator doors opened and a 6 and half foot Klingon was staring at me with a scowl.

What a long strange trip its been!

Last edited:
Did I tell you about the time I ended up (unbeknownst to me) staying at the hotel with the Star Trek convention, after attending a Grateful Dead concert with a head full of sugar cube?

I totally tripped out when the elevator doors opened and a 6 and half foot Klingon was staring at me with a scowl.

What a time!
bahhaaha, I just spit out my soda after reading that. :coca_cola_can:

O-O

DTVUSA Member

lol. Ok, you get a few extra Trekie points for calling Star Trek a National Monument, but your rant is very valid along with Cptl A's. I've seen quite a mix of mediocre movie releases over the past 5 years in both SciFi and Fantasy type plots. Heck, these days I think I enjoy watching more chick flicks with my wife than some of the scifi crap to hit the big screen this last year.

Who knew Vulcan's carried roller briefcases?? :clown:
Aaron,

Sorrowfully, I admit I do not costume, nor, have I ever been to a Convention.
BUT, being a Trekkie at heart, should count for something ! :D :D

HTN,
You're SO right, as CplA, I have "counted on" and enjoyed viewing the Futuristic, waiting my lust for a genuinely good Trek continuation or comparison.
Much of the viewing called SiFi today, are nothing more than a take off on "Days of our Lives", and promoted as SiFi, just because someone saw a UFO once ! :dizzy:

Given your (I presume) general Focus on the Wars series, I'd like your comment on this...

As you've seen in my Post here, I'm a bit disenchanted in the portrayal of the Characters in this new Star Trek Movie, and have a couple of suggestions, about an alternate actor for young Spock. Do you remember...
Hayden Christensen
who played young Anakin Skywalker in the Wars II/III, or...
Manu Intiraymi
who played the X-Borg Icheb in Voyager.

Given what I've seen of both of these guys "starchy" demeanor, would have placed them well above the chosen.
Your thoughts ?

S.W.
Im rather pro latest Star Trek movie....and I come dangerously close to being a Trekkie.

:behindsofa:
lol, the Trekkie Geeks are coming out of the woodworks here.

SWHouston

Staff member
Aaron62,

Sorry, I missed your previous question, did you mean 5 Languages ?

"Aren't there like 5 different leagues of Trekkie anyway?"

If you mean 5 Languages which have been developed thru The Star Trek Episodes/Movies, I'd say no.

There have been several phrases/words spoken, from any number of sources (Romulan/Dinobulan/Klingon/Unas/others) but only one, which has any reasonable vocabulary, and that due to it's original development.

That "Stage" language is Goa'uld, and the words are actually of Ancient Egyptian origin. The original text being Hieroglyphic/pictographic, like in the Cartouche one sees on/in the Pyramids.

When constructing script, fortunately for the author, and unfortunately for the listener/reader, gives the author a great deal of flexibility.
"A picture is worth a thousand words", meant the same back then, as it does now. So, the use of those words can be very subjective.
The meaning of any number of those symbols/cartouche is as varied, as the number of Archaeologist/Linguist who attempt to interpret them.

BTW, the phrase I wrote in my previous post, is not in Klingon, but Goa'uld.
No one noticed ! Now, what did you say the criteria for being a "Real Trekkie" was ? :D

S.W.