Star Trek 2009 comparisons

I watched the 2009 movie over and over again. first at a friend's house and again and again on MegaVideo. i kept finding the bad guy, Nero, quite similar to someone but couldn't place my finger on him...

...Until i watched Star Trek: Nemesis...and then i found him.

Nero

Nero's Vessel, the Narada

Shinzon--Nemesis

Shinzon's Vessel, the Scimitar

Both have huge ships, both are deranged, and both want nothing better than to kill any captain and destroy any Federation vessel in order to take over the quadrant...both also had some heartbreaking story either involving the death of a loved one or mere acceptance which they actually believe could justify their evil, as if it was ever worth considering.

they both are so able to outmatch their opponent and outgun him at the same time, but usually meet their end by having their ship destroyed by being rammed Janeway style (see VOY: Year of Hell) in the end...

All that aside, i must say it again: i absolutely HATE the Enterprise-E. it sucks. it doesn't fit the crew and makes them dark and evil looking...it's cold, and IMO if the Enterprise-D had to die off by one stupid obsolete Bird of Prey firing ONE torpedo at it (even though it got damaged far less from the Borg) at the very least the appropriate replacement could've been Intrepid-Class--a far better looking ship IMO. when i saw the entire bridge of the E destroyed with only the forcefields keeping the crew inside, and the impending warp core breach imminent, i really was about to cheer--seriously...but that didn't happen. in fact, the E was so superior it couldn't lose. that's probably why no single TNG-crew movie has happened since.

Rant aside, the two movies did share quite a bit of common ground in the plot dept.

...Even though i would've loved to see the Future Enterprise-D ship surface like it did on an alternate timeline on TNG's finale, All Good Things... that was one bad-ass ship, especially since it neutralized two K'Vort class battlecruisers in one single PHASOR shot! could the E do that?

Perhaps, in the new timeline created by the movie, the Enterprise-D will eventually come about, and not be destroyed stupidly as in Generations

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Thanks for the information. I still haven't seen the movie. I was initially concerned about the film not being true to the story I love and revere, but then I heard it's an alternate reality story. I'm so comfortable with those because of Stargate SG-1 which did the alternate reality thing a lot and actually ended up being an alternate reality for its final couple of seasons, so anyway, now I'm rather eager to see it. Soon, I hope.

SWHouston

Staff member
Nice post DTVU !!

I don't know how I missed this thread, but, I may have a correction to your references, if I understand that you thought the two rolls were played by the same person ?

In Star Trek Nemesis, an English actor named Tom Hardy, played the roll of Praetor Shinzon.
In Star Trek 2009, an Australian actor named Eric Bana, played the roll of Nero.

Or have I misunderstood your comment ?
Those two guys do look quite similar.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

no i knew they weren't the same actor, just that they were both as evil and wanted the same damn thing. one thing still perplexes me though...was Nero's vessel part borg? or was i imagining the borg-style interior? i never saw a drone and nothing was mentioned of the Borg?

funny my alternate-Spock destroyed it by ramming his teeny timeship into it though lol

Janeway pioneered the 'if you don't succeed, RAM IT!' maneuver in Voyager's Year of Hell two-parter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNozrm48ENM

Last edited:

Mockingbird

DTVUSA Member
I to was baffled by the borg style, it wasn't just you. I finally decided they were probably just recycling old props.

Funny I never thought of Nero/Shinzon similarity. Probably because shinzon always made me think of Pinhead and Nero reminded me more of stargate.

SWHouston

Staff member
Greetings Mockingbird,

Seems like there's a "type cast" for the provocateur ! They could just hire one guy, and let him play all the bad guy parts.
At least we'd know up front, who's who. :D

S.W.

Greetings Mockingbird,

Seems like there's a "type cast" for the provocateur ! They could just hire one guy, and let him play all the bad guy parts.
At least we'd know up front, who's who. :D

S.W.
Greetings to you to SW- I dunno about it being a villians typecasting, there were so many other cool villians in the star trek saga. Some I wonder why we never saw again, others we actually saw to much of. Take tribbles for instance - :dunce: you never see them around :)

Now had then been a Khan double I probably would have walked out of the theater, but yea, seems like we have had plenty of bald headed people on start trek don't it?

SWHouston

Staff member
Mockingbird,

Your reference to Tribbles has cause me to think that they have been mentioned on episodes of N.Gen or Voyager, I just can't remember which or which episodes.

As far as Bald Head guys go, we could use a few more of them, if they were the quality actor that Pat Stewart is.

I'm a little ticked off at him though, I've seen some interviews with him, and he showed his true colors about SyFy, seeming to me that he thought it was a joke for the most part, and in one, was obviously amazed at the quantity of money received, for some of the S.Trek memorabilia. His attitude sure let me down.

S.W.

Tribble episodes i remember off-hand:

1. The Trouble with Tribbles Star Trek: The Original Series

2. More Tribbles, More Troubles Star Trek: The Animated Series

3. Trials and Tribble-ations Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

G

"Janeway pioneered the 'if you don't succeed, RAM IT!' maneuver in Voyager's Year of Hell two-parter"

I love that Janeway scene, and I love that character, but Kirk did it first in the original series when he rammed the USS Constellation down the throat of the Doomsday Machine—a ship at least as big as the Narada.

SWHouston

Staff member
Yep, just about everyone has done that at some point, save maybe Cisco, I don't remember anything like that in DS9. My problem with that is...

In "those" cases, there was no alternative. Each Series has skipped over and totally ignored updating SF Ships or equipment, and when they tried to "update", they failed.

I'm just (was/am) SO tired of our Heroes getting beat up all the time. And when they did succeed, it was by the skin of their teeth. How many times have we herd...

CAPTAIN !,
Warp Drive is off line...or
The Impulse Engines don't work...or
The Com is off line... and on and on and on.

The Writers and Producers of "Trek" would have us think that SF Ships are totally junk, and the only thing that's holding them together, is some "marginal" ingenuity of Scotty and Geordy.

Trust me, I'm a died in the wool Trecker, but, I just got to where I expected something to fail for one reason or another. Just exasperated I guess. I just wanted our guys to really kick butt at least once. Never happened.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
SW, et al:

Their ships didn't always break down but I must admit I always wondered why they didn't have extra dilithium crystals on hand. I feel obligated to add this old classic video. Enjoy!

Jim

[video=youtube;_vPWE2Ebz48]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vPWE2Ebz48[/video]