Station Changes After Incentive Auction

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The public television station announced Thursday that it will reap $9.9 million from the sale of its broadcast frequency, enough to completely retire its long-term debt with a few million to spare.

In exchange for the payout, WQED will move to a lower broadcast frequency, likely in two to three years. The change will be almost entirely behind the scenes. The station will stay at Channel 13 on (televisions) and the move will not affect broadcast quality or availability, though over-the-air users (will) have to re-scan their televisions...

In the early 1990s, WQED was $17.5 million in debt, said Mr. McGough. Over the years, it has whittled that figure down to a bank loan with about $4 million remaining and $1.9 million that it had borrowed from its endowment.

With the $9.9 million, which it will likely receive in about a year, it will pay down that debt, and use about $1.5 million for transaction costs and equipment related to the frequency shift. That leaves a ballpark surplus in excess of $2 million, he said.

“That’s the money that we’re going to be engaging in an analysis and a discussion about with our constituents and communities,” said Ms. Acklin. “I think one of the likely proposals is that we add it to the endowment since this is a one-time gain. We’re not likely to blow it on a single project.”
Read More: http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-r...in-FCC-frequency-auction/stories/201702100128

I'm glad the auction worked out for somebody. Move to VHF, get paid to do it. Not bad.

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Gray Television to Receive Over 90 Million in Auction

Gray Television, Inc. announced today that it anticipates receiving $ 90,824,000 in
proceeds resulting from the Federal Communication Commission’s recently completed reverse
auction for broadcast spectrum.

The anticipated proceeds reflect the FCC’s acceptance of one or more bids placed by Gray
during the auction to modify and/or surrender spectrum used by certain of our television stations.
Significantly, the actions necessary to receive the proceeds will not lead to job losses and otherwise
are not expected to produce any material change in operations or results for Gray or for any
individual market in which we operate. We will announce the affected station(s) at a later date.
Read More: http://gray.tv/uploads/documents/pressreleases/Press_Release_Auction_Proceeds.pdf

I have a feeling that Gray may have agreed to move KKTV in Colorado Springs back to VHF channel 10. We will find out later!

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Tribune Media also announced that they made $190 million. My guess is that this will result in KDVR (Fox 31) and KWGN (CW 2) channel sharing in the Denver market. That will probably result in the net loss of three subchannels as far as I can tell (This TV, Comet, and Antenna TV). At least until the ATSC 3.0 roll out.

Simply speculation based on an educated guess.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
FCC To Announce Post Auction Changes in April

The tell-all public notice in which the FCC will reveal what broadcasters sold stations in the incentive auction and how much they got for them should emerge in early April — if the FCC keeps to its schedule.

The notice will also contain information on the post-auction repacking, including how many and which stations will have to move to new channels and the new channel assignments.
Read More: http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/101536/fcc-to-announce-auction-winners-in-april

So, here is how this effects me. Based on Tribune Media's announcement of proceeds from the incentive auction, I have to speculate that they sold one of their Denver stations. That is either KWGN CW 2 (RF 34) or KDVR Fox 31 (RF 32). My current wind resistant antenna picks up all my channels except Fox 31 (RF 32)with no problem. If they sold channel 32, and no one takes over that transmitter, I don't need to go more radical with my antenna (great reception, minimal wind loading), but if channel 32 on that transmitter is still in play, I need to upgrade my antenna. So, what is it? Do I need to upgrade my antenna or not?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The assignment phase of the TV spectrum incentive auction will commence March 6 and run through March 30, which will signal the start of the TV station repack.

Once this assignment-phase bidding is complete, the end of the auction will be officially announced in an Auction Closing and TV Station Reassignment Public Notice, noting all new channel assignments for displaced TV stations.
Read More: http://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/0031/repack-39month-clock-to-start-after-march-30/280341

Stations will have 39 months from March 30th to move to their new channels. Meanwhile many may be moving to ATSC 3.0. How well this ultimately works for consumers is yet to be seen.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
CBS Doesn't Sell Any Full Power Stations

"We did not sell any full-power stations," COO Joe Ianniello told securities on the company's fourth-quarter quarters earning call Wednesday afternoon.

"As the auction continued to drop rapidly in value, it just didn't make sense for us to participate because we make so much more money by broadcasting in the highest standards possible. So, that's our bread and butter."
Read More: http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/101574/cbs-comes-up-small-in-spectrum-auction

This was where CBS was before the FCC threw out highly inflated opening bids to draw in broadcasters. "We aren't selling." Unfortunately for the viewing public, some of the independents took the bait.