Still have your beta?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I never owned a BETA recorder, but a friend of mine did and she actually still has it. It even works. She's been putting everything on DVD now. I'd almost forgotten about BETAs.

i used to have some still-working Betamax VCRs around, and even a couple Hi-Fi's too. and a Betacam. but i got tired of the novelty after awhile (plus the Beta/U-Matic U-Loading scheme is notorious for eating tapes!)

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
I never owned a BETA recorder, but a friend of mine did and she actually still has it. It even works. She's been putting everything on DVD now. I'd almost forgotten about BETAs.
if it's home movies I understand if she's converting her movie collection to DVD it hardly seems worth the effort.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
if it's home movies I understand if she's converting her movie collection to DVD it hardly seems worth the effort.
hah, That reminds me of my aunt. She has a HUGE collection of VHS tapes and refuses to buy them in DVD format, so she's having my cousin copy the old tapes to DVD?? :boink:

Orrymain

No home movies; lots of old tv shows, ones you can't buy today and if you did, would still cost more than transferring them. She has all kinds of stuff; it's a hoot to see what she'll find next.

cirereyes

DTVUSA Jr. Member
My old Betamax player is still working but my tape collections are not readable anymore. I believe the white stuff that grew inside the tape are molds and I don’t think I’d still be able to save those tapes.

Orrymain

Actually that's the problem she's having. The player works but the tapes have degraded. They jump a lot. She has to really babysit it to watch or dub it.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Saving magnetic tapes of all kinds

Regarding efforts to save magnetic tapes regardless if they are 8-Track or Cassette Audio, BetaMax or VHS, for them to survive they MUST be stored with their spools in a vertical plane and away from heat sources.

GRAVITY SUCKS -- and many tapes quit because the mylar media has literally dropped or slid off the spools' centerline and is resting against their plastic enclosures. Aside from that, often there is nothing else wrong with them!

In theory ... a 'dead / stuck' tape that had been stored 'flat' rather than vertically could become operational again if you flipped it (again flat) and try to play it a few years from now!

2-track Commercial and 4-track Consumer 7" real-to-real tapes are perfect examples of this phenomina, where you can literally see the media coming off the Master spool twisted or on its side at a angle rather than perfectly flat. :gramps:

Jim

Last edited:

Orrymain

I've always heard that about vertical storage which is why 90% of my tapes are stored that way. I'd still like to transfer the entire bunch to DVD though.

I still got a couple 8-tracks and some recordable blanks which still play as clear as CDs still, even though they probably haven't seen a player since the '70s, until recently haha