Sub channels

genemura

DTVUSA Rookie
I have digital cable, time-warner, runing on old analog tv. To get subchannel reception, do I need a converter. Some programs of interests are being transferred to subchannels

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
The best way to check is by using Time Warner's channel lineup webpage and entering your zip code or city and state. I searched for my state here in Arizona, and their basic cable service only offers the main local channels (like ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC), not their subchannels. This may vary by city and state, so don't take my word for it.

If they don't offer subchannels, you will need a converter box, and it will have to be connected to your TV independent of your cable connection (using an AB switch or a splitter).

Do you have basic cable service with Time Warner or do you rent one of their set top boxes?

with cable you only get the main network. If you want sub-channels get a box and an antenna

Hook up your cable line and box/antenna with an A/B switch so you can switch from antenna to cable whenever you want a sub channel ;)

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
with cable you only get the main network. If you want sub-channels get a box and an antenna

Hook up your cable line and box/antenna with an A/B switch so you can switch from antenna to cable whenever you want a sub channel ;)
It's the same here with DirecTV too, no sub channels. I wonder why?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
There is no requirement to provide sub-channels, but some service providers will do so. We get practically all the sub-channels here (but this is Comcast), but only on Digital Starter or above.

Yes, on Comcast, they do give you some of the sub-channels but you need a Digital package with one of their boxes and you need a qualified digital package. Like THIS TV, is up in the 700's.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
This will require a fix of the "must carry" laws. I am not sure it talks about the sub channels but all the HD offerings are coming in 2012, I believe.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
I agree, the must carry laws need updating. They were written in an era of one programming choice per call sign/transmitter. They don't have to be on the bottom 2-13, as they would never fit, but they should be part of any package that includes locals. After all, they are local, with local ads, at least in my town they are at least truly local when it comes to advertisements.