Sudden Loss of Signal

Izzen

DTVUSA Rookie
So, recently my boyfriend bought a tv from a friend of his which can receive DTV signals without the converter box. Up until a few weeks ago, everything was fine with it, we got all of the local DTV channels (PBS, Fox, NBC, CBS) over the air with only minimal "rescanning" needed. Around the end of June, however, all of our channels except two (one digital NBC, & one analog) began displaying "No Signal" screen, it seems permanently. What could be going on here, to make them disappear virtually overnight? We are in the Western Massachusetts area, so if anyone else around here has noticed something fishy please let me know.

Maybe we're just behind the times on local updates of DTV info.

I'm not sure what kind of antenna we have. I think that may be a problem in answering this question, but maybe not. I'm at work at the moment and we don't have internet access at the house yet, so I won't be able to return with whatever information I need to get from it until tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks!

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
questions:

How old is the antenna, and where is it? In what condition is the cabling?

Go to TV Fool and enter your address, then post the results link here.

It sounds like a mechanical problem to be honest. Probably the cable and / or connectors. If you've had high winds or bad weather recently it could have been enough to make your connection bad, or perhaps turn the antenna slightly if its outdoors. If there is a signal amplifier on the antenna, it may have gone bad or perhaps it has no power.

Check all your connections and get back to us.

Izzen

DTVUSA Rookie
There is no external antenna. It's a part of the tv. That works, doesn't it? I mean, it did work for a while. But I will respond once I have any other info.

I really hope the TV isn't broken. We can't really afford a new one that picks up OTA DTV.

The TV Fool thing turned up nothing odd, other than our lack of receiving the channels we should be: TV Fool

FOX TV

Contributor
So, recently my boyfriend bought a tv from a friend of his which can receive DTV signals without the converter box. Up until a few weeks ago, everything was fine with it, we got all of the local DTV channels (PBS, Fox, NBC, CBS) over the air with only minimal "rescanning" needed. Around the end of June, however, all of our channels except two (one digital NBC, & one analog) began displaying "No Signal" screen, it seems permanently. What could be going on here, to make them disappear virtually overnight? We are in the Western Massachusetts area, so if anyone else around here has noticed something fishy please let me know.

Maybe we're just behind the times on local updates of DTV info.

I'm not sure what kind of antenna we have. I think that may be a problem in answering this question, but maybe not. I'm at work at the moment and we don't have internet access at the house yet, so I won't be able to return with whatever information I need to get from it until tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks!
There are many possible issues with outdoor antennas if that is what you are using. Bad weather such as high winds or driven rain can cause damage to your antenna or the coaxial cable that feeds it. More details would be very helpful in figuring out your issues. Normally when this happens, it is an antenna issue that is the main cause, and knowing what type of antenna you have is a MUST in trying to figure out a solution to your reception issues.

Seriously, I haven't rescanned anything in over a year and won't need to until something changes with my local broadcasters. Once the tuner has memorized it's channel map, it stays there unless it happens to get corrupted.

n2rj

Staff member
Is the antenna on the roof? It is quite possible either the cable got damaged, water got into it, or the antenna shifted with the wind. The other possibility is that the trees leafing out caused the signal to drop.