Suddenlink says no to dtv.....

bwhorton09

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Well guys looks like everything is going pretty smoothly for most folks as far as dtv is concerned.Now for the bad news cable systems are shunning dtv
as the fcc left a big loophole open saying its a business decision for the cable
industry.Suddenlink even says they are never going completely digital as a result.
so as a result i have a dtv with 65 still analog and 3 digital stations our local
abc,nbc and cbs stations. So much for dtv in my town.anyone else with this problem?:(

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The more I learn about Suddenlink, the more I appreciate Comcast.

I feel for you; can you look into an alternative? Both Dish Network and DirecTV service the whole country, so unless you've decided to live someplace where you cannot get good line-of-sight to the satellite, that might be a better approach for you.

Another option for the HD starved is Blu-ray. Most major films are now being released on Blu-ray, and some television series as well. Netflix is an affordable way to get Blu-ray discs to watch: They have over 1500 Blu-ray titles now, and you can get access to Blu-ray discs for just 20% more per month than the standard DVD rental service price.

bwhorton09

DTVUSA Jr. Member
The more I learn about Suddenlink, the more I appreciate Comcast.

I feel for you; can you look into an alternative? Both Dish Network and DirecTV service the whole country, so unless you've decided to live someplace where you cannot get good line-of-sight to the satellite, that might be a better approach for you.

Another option for the HD starved is Blu-ray. Most major films are now being released on Blu-ray, and some television series as well. Netflix is an affordable way to get Blu-ray discs to watch: They have over 1500 Blu-ray titles now, and you can get access to Blu-ray discs for just 20% more per month than the standard DVD rental service price.
Bicker no comcast in my area slink only.......

bwhorton09

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Here is the letter,

Dear Blaine Whorton,

Thank you for your inquiry. Suddenlink is committed to providing the best customer service possible.

We apologize for any confusion the digital conversion may have caused through the information available.. Before we explain what changes you will experience with your Suddenlink cable service, we wish to make sure that specific details of the conversion are provided.

The ATSC signal format will indeed allow for newer broadcast technologies such as digital sub-channels, wide screen formatted programming, and additional audio sub-tracks to be used eventually, there are no other signal changes being mandated by the 12th of June other than television stations must broadcast their 'over the air' signals in digital format as opposed to analog. This is primarily being done to clean up the airways of older analog signal traffic.

We understand your concerns regarding picture and sound quality, and the result of your local television stations providing Suddenlink with a digital signal is that it should definitely improve the picture and sound quality of your lower channels. There are no plans however to change our broadcast signal for the Basic cable channel range (channels 2-99), the signal will remain analog. This is to allow our customers to continue to receive those channels without having to upgrade their televisions or purchase any additional equipment. For those customer that already have digital capable televisions, there will also be no changes needed. You will continue to receive those channels just as you do now, no settings to change, no need to scan for channels etc.

Please keep in mind the digital conversion is primarily a broadcast signal related mandate at this time, or stage, and specifically related to signal traffic that is broadcast over the airwaves. It does not effect signals broadcast in a closed system such as cable service, nor will the conversion automatically provide for wide-screen high definition channels at this time. We are certain that as your local television stations complete the conversion, and additionally upgrade necessary portions of their infrastructure, that sub-channels and higher definition formats will become available also.

We hope that we have been able to provide you with the information you requested. If we have not, or if we can be of any additional service to you, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Thank you,
Suddenlink Communications I-Care Team

Did you know that you can speak with a live agent without picking up the phone? It's Easy! Simply Click on the link below and let us assist you with your general or account specific questions. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your convenience.
Suddenlink | Easy as counting to one.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Thank you for contacting Suddenlink Communications regarding Cable TV Support. Your message has been received and a Customer Service Representative will be responding to you as soon as possible.

Type of support selected:
Residential

Comments
When will my suddenlink cable service switch to ATSC signals as opposed to the current NTSC system.I know today is the switchover date(June 12) as i have basic and expanded basic service i guess what im saying when will you be 100% digital. It was dissappointing to wake up this morning and still see analog tv on my new digital set as i figured suddenlink would switch over at midnight.
I am over the age of 18 :
yes

Thank you,

Suddenlink Communications I-Care Team

Did you know that you can speak with a live agent without picking up the phone? It's Easy! Simply Click here and let us assist you with your general or account specific questions. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your convenience.

Prev | Next

©1997-2006 Openwave Systems Inc. All rights reserved.

Last edited by a moderator:

bicker

DTVUSA Member
FIRST: You really should edit your message and remove all your personal information (except your zip code -- that's actually useful to help you, and doesn't really represent a big risk).

Anyway: Interesting letter... it does seem to indicate that they do support digital service of some sort:
For those customer that already have digital capable televisions, there will also be no changes needed. You will continue to receive those channels just as you do now, no settings to change, no need to scan for channels etc.
And entering your Zip Code into Suddenlink's website shows that they do indeed provide HD service:

Code:
705  	 KARD-HD FOX West Monroe, LA  	 HD Broadcast
710 	KNOE-HD-CBS Monroe, LA 	HD Broadcast
730 	KTVE-HD NBC El Dorado, AR 	HD Broadcast
740 	TNT HD 	HD Basic
745 	TBS HD 	HD Basic
750 	Fox Sports Southwest HD 	HD Basic
751 	ESPN HD 	HD Basic
752 	ESPN 2 HD 	HD Basic
753 	FX HD 	HD Basic
754 	Sci-Fi HD 	HD Basic
755 	USA HD 	HD Basic
756 	The Learning Channel HD 	HD Basic
757 	Discovery Channel HD 	HD Basic
758 	Animal Planet HD 	HD Basic
759 	The Travel Channel HD 	HD Basic
760 	CNBC HD 	HD Basic
761 	Bravo HD 	HD Basic
767 	HD Theater 	HD Plus Tier
768 	National Geographic HD 	HD Plus Tier *
769 	Universal HD 	HD Plus Tier
771 	HDNet 	HD Plus Tier
772 	HDNet Movies 	HD Plus Tier
775 	Home & Garden Television HD 	HD Plus Tier
776 	Food Network HD 	HD Plus Tier
778 	Arts & Entertainment HD 	HD Plus Tier
779 	History HD 	HD Plus Tier
785 	HBO HD East 	HD Premium
790 	Showtime HD East 	HD Premium
28 HD channels is pretty respectable, though not really a stellar array.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Well guys looks like everything is going pretty smoothly for most folks as far as dtv is concerned.Now for the bad news cable systems are shunning dtv
as the fcc left a big loophole open saying its a business decision for the cable
industry.Suddenlink even says they are never going completely digital as a result.
so as a result i have a dtv with 65 still analog and 3 digital stations our local
abc,nbc and cbs stations. So much for dtv in my town.anyone else with this problem?:(
I don't see the fact that Suddenlink won't be going ATSC would be a problem. What is your main concern? Suddenlink does the conversion at their end and sends it out to the cable subscribers, so you won't lose any programming. I'm not sure I understand your concern?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I don't think any cable company would ever go completely ATSC (really 8VSB). QAM is far more efficient. The only reason why they use 8VSB for over-the-air transmission is due to atmospheric interference, something you don't have to worry about when broadcasting through a wire.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
You paid Suddenlink $1500? :confused:

Oh! You mean for the television! That doesn't buy you the programming. That just covers the cost of the display. You need to be sure that you've selected the right level of service from Suddenlink to fully realize the capability of your display.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Well my concern is that i spent 1500.00 on a dtv and i should have all digital programming to go with it that's my concern.
I know of no cable company or satellite company offering 100% HD programming. Even the OTA programming is not 100%. I'm quite sure when HD programming becomes the norm Suddenlink will upgrade their equipment to keep customers. At this point you aren't losing anything. Like Bicker pointed out, you need to purchase and pay extra the HD package from the cable company. The same thing happened to others as well as myself with the local cable company. Now I've gone full OTA and am quite happy that I discontinued cable.