Question: Suggestions to improve a suddenly missing reception

Hmm, that doesn't make much sense. why would I put a 6db attenuator in front of an amp that's amplifying 4-5db? In that case I should just not use the amp at all, right? And I'm not sure why the signals are too strong...my highest signal strength with the amp in place ran about 90%, but most were in the 80% range.

The stations I've kept include CBS (3) PHL (17-1, 2 3), the Allentown (69-1, 2, 3) channels, a 3 or 4 PBS channels.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Hmm, that doesn't make much sense. why would I put a 6db attenuator in front of an amp that's amplifying 4-5db? In that case I should just not use the amp at all, right? And I'm not sure why the signals are too strong...my highest signal strength with the amp in place ran about 90%, but most were in the 80% range.
The "signal strength" meter on most tuners isn't a signal strength meter at all, it's a signal quality meter. An overloaded signal will appear as a lower quality signal, meanwhile it's doing damage to the amp. So you would want to cool the signal a bit before you amp it back up. You might not want to cool it 6 dBs, but maybe 3 dBs then run the amp at 8 dBs.

I exchanged my amp and got a 3db attenuator. I installed both and with the amp up to 10db I got some channels back but I'm still missing 10, 12, 23, 35, 61 and 65. At least my wife can watch Glee tonight, so I guess that's something.

I took the attenuator out to replicate the circumstances that had been working well up until this morning, and it was no change. Still missing the same channels listed above.

there's no immediate building, but there is a small patch of trees next to my porch. For the most part it's a flat area.

I think it might be weather related. a storm rolled in this morning, which changed what channels are coming in...now I'm getting 10 but I lost 3 CBS. I wonder if the stormfront moving in messed things up yesterday.

this is both fascinating and frustrating.

actually, it is, though it's facing through the thinnest part of the trees and there aren't many. They are all evergreens so I don't anticipate it worsening in the spring and summer because the leaves are consistent.

It's supposed to be clear this weekend after we dig out of upwards of a foot of snow, so we'll see how it goes then.

gary350

DTVUSA Member
From time to time one of my channels will suddenly dissappear. If I do rescan it suddenly returns. I have no idea what the deal is with that. Give it a try and see what happens.

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
i think you lost the Pilot carrier and that is not something related with amplification, is that related with antenna position and multipath or unstability of signal and the one edge or two edge phenomenon, to me happen exactly the same , lost the channels, with indoors antennas just get 7-8m DTV channels with an homemade antenna Yagui type pick up almost all the channels 17 channels but just can watch 8 channels because the others are cyphered or just too low power that with lucky get from time to time an screen and no Signal.

here is the paper of Harris explaining how works 8VSB modulation, maybe this works if want to analyze why happen the problem of lose signals.

http://www.8vsb.com/doc/harris-8vsb.pdf

we only have UHF channels our system do not allow use the channel 37 and VHF1-2 bands "for avoid electric impulsive noise" in the broadcast.

well by what i know Pennsylvania and Santiago, (my city) are similars in geographic aspects have hills and mountains and where i am from too in fact the transmitter is located in a hill .

well hope this helps you

best regards
Francisco

Last edited: