Summit Antenna Service Serving Akron, Ohio

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Summit Antenna Service offers customers an opportunity to install a new digital antenna that eliminates monthly cable or satellite TV bills, according to owner and operator Rick Boshara...

“This area broadcasts about 36 channels, and all you need is the right equipment to capture them,” he added. “You won’t get the premium channels like ESPN, CNN, the History Channel or HGTV, but there are a lot of similar broadcasts available.”

Boshara said most premium cable users “watch few of the hundreds of channels available to them that they are paying for, so this makes sense.”

He said the cost for the typical antenna needed and installation is about $375. He added the antenna, which measures 35 inches long by 35 inches wide by 36 inches high, is placed so that it is pointed over a roof line in a specific direction, and installation rarely requires piercing the roof. He said the antenna can often be placed on a chimney, and installation usually takes less than one day.
Read More: Akron Ohio News - Summit Antenna Service offering digital antenna option for TV

One of the big issues with the acceptance of OTA digital broadcasting is that the competition (pay-TV) has a technician who comes out and sets it up for you. Meanwhile most of us folks who use free DTV are stuck designing and installing our systems ourselves. Therefore, I figure I should pass this along for those in or near Akron.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
... He said the cost for the typical antenna needed and installation is about $375. He added the antenna, which measures 35 inches long by 35 inches wide by 36 inches high ...

If there isn't a pre-existing cable system around the home it will take at least a full day for one man to install a system and probably two days. I have to wonder about the 3' cube antenna they are using! It looks similar to one of Denny's altered Yagis to me and its at most, 3" tall.

Jim

Last edited:

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
Would there be many houses which have never ever had cable or FTA? (and therefore no pre-existing wiring at all)

And I would assume all new houses over there are pre-cabled aswell.

Just to be clear, Im not making an attack at the guy, Im sure he can do the job just fine, it just seemed like an odd thing to state. His prices seem quite competitive.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
nbound,

I live in a large metropolis and my 1920s home was never wired for 'cable' by any pay-for business nor by prior owners. I tore out between 250 and 350 feet of 300 ohm twin lead (aaaack!) outside and inside the walls. I wonder if Compost still offers 'free installation' LOL! It would be a BIG job.

Jim

dkreichen1968

Staff member
nbound,

I live in a large metropolis and my 1920s home was never wired for 'cable' by any pay-for business nor by prior owners. I tore out between 250 and 350 feet of 300 ohm twin lead (aaaack!) outside and inside the walls. I wonder if Compost still offers 'free installation' LOL! It would be a BIG job.

Jim
Jim,

How long ago did you buy your house? At this point well over 90% of the houses have coax installed. I have a friend who was doing DirecTV installs, and he said that it was very rare that he ever had to install any new cable.

Dan

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Dan and nbound,

My home was built during the Great Depression and it certainly qualifies as a 'this old house' complete with 2x4's that actually measure 2 inches by 4 inches. None of the prior owners ever had cable TV installed and I never had a reason to have it installed.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Oh I believe you, please dont get me wrong, I believe that your place would be in the minority though, correct?
Yes, most Cities and towns were 'wired' years ago but there are plenty of rural areas that are miles away from Cable.

I have a friend who lives in Idaho in 'the sticks' and his property and few neighbors will most likely never have Cable service. I ran an antenna survey for him and he would need a tower like Ryans to be able to receive 3 Channels, possibly 4. They prefer riding their snowmobiles, hunting and fishing over television, so its no biggie for them.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I've done all of my installs for under $200 - I guess I am cheap. Granted, they all had pre-existing coax provided by cable or satellite companies.

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
Yes, most Cities and towns were 'wired' years ago but there are plenty of rural areas that are miles away from Cable.

I have a friend who lives in Idaho in 'the sticks' and his property and few neighbors will most likely never have Cable service. I ran an antenna survey for him and he would need a tower like Ryans to be able to receive 3 Channels, possibly 4. They prefer riding their snowmobiles, hunting and fishing over television, so its no biggie for them.

Jim
Ah, here those remote places would have had cabling for satellite either for pay tv, or for FTA satellite.

I've done all of my installs for under $200 - I guess I am cheap. Granted, they all had pre-existing coax provided by cable or satellite companies.
Thats cheap as far as Im concerned haha