Sunday's 'The Good Wife' Shocks: Surprising Exodus By Major Key Player!

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Wow! Whoa! Stunner! Didn't see it comin'

The above was my reaction to watching Sunday night's latest installment of the CBS' hit drama, 'The Good Wife.' Entitled 'Dramatics, Your Honor,' this fifteenth show of the fifth season had me totally involved throughout. I should have known something like this was coming for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was a similar outcome on another hit show, 'Person of Interest.'

Warning: major plot happenings revealed. If you haven't seen the show yet and don't want to know, stop reading now!

Though overly violent for my taste, I had watched POI from the beginning. Then earlier this season, they had a wonderful episode that really stood out to me. It had a more family feel to it. The interactions were different, endearing, and there were elements to the plotlines that touched me. I was excited for the future; that is, until the very end when a key character was unexpectedly killed. I vowed not to watch POI again. I haven't either.

Tonight's episode of 'The Good Wife' had some of that feeling. Cary (Matt Czuchry) came clean to Alicia (Julianna Margulies) about dating Kalinda (Archie Panjabi). Kalinda and Will (Josh Charles) had an almost jovial time throughout the hour, laughing and talking about who they were. More importantly, Alicia and Will even had a decent moment that had Will thanking Alicia. It felt good.

Then the POI-type shocker happened. I was floored. In a truly dramatic couple of minutes, Will's client flipped out and took the gun of a nearby police officer. While viewers didn't see the mayhem occur, we saw the aftermath and waited in suspense as Kalinda's movements led to the big reveal: Will was seriously wounded, blood covering him.

The action switched to the hospital where an emotional Diane (Christine Baranski) and Kalinda (who was almost out-of-character emotional, in fact) both agree to phone Alicia who doesn't get the call. Moments pass for the next big reveal: a definitely dead Will Gardner.

Game changer!

The show ended with Kalinda reaching Eli (Alan Cumming) and telling him that Will was killed. Eli coaxed Alicia away from the dias in the middle of an event and handed her the phone. Alicia doesn't get the news as yet, however, and I assume the next episode will open with her hearing the news (or maybe they'll just fast forward over that part), but the clips for the rest of the fifth season show the aftermath of Will's death, including conflict between Alicia and Peter (Chris Noth) and the return of Michael J. Fox as Louis Canning, apparently as Will's replacement at Lockhart-Gardner.

As a regular viewer of the series, I don't mind the exodus of Will. I never liked the Will-Alicia pairing and was happy when the plot moved away from it. I liked the setup for this new year of shows, though, with the rivalry put into motion. At the same time, I actually had already grown tired of the overzealousness Will showed in trying to get the best of Alicia and her new firm. That's another reason why I should have known something was going to happen on this episode. For the first time in weeks, the show opened with a really good trial case, one that had Will facing off with a district attorney. At last, it wasn't just Will trying to get even. I liked the rapport and the back-and-forth of the case. I should have seen it coming.

Josh Charles is appearing on 'Late Night with David Letterman' on Monday. One can presume Sunday's surprising program will be one of the hot topics discussed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G DirecTV 0