Swearing on tv

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I really get tired of all of the swearing that is on television. Because of that, my wife and I bought a device that attaches to the tv and edits out swear words.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I would prefer that the language used on television match the language that one might encounter in the actual circumstances being dramatized, regardless of other considerations.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I want to know about that device, too. A personal bleep machine -- sounds great, but I've never heard of it. I agree, though, because I hate profanity. I don't want to hear it. It is indeed one of the reasons I don't watch a lot of first-run TV. Have you noticed that A&E bleeps their shows in their pre-10pm viewings but keeps the swearing in after 10? I thought that was interesting. I didn't know they did that until I watched The Beast.

Orrymain

Swearing is vulgar and unpleasant. It's inappropriate for children. Actually, I'm an adult and I find it inappropriate for me. My friends don't swear around me.

Sorry I let this one slide by without responding sooner. I have an old device called a TV Guardian. It catches the majority of swearing but it uses RCA jacks and doesn't work with televisions with HDMI connections. That's why I still have my old tube tv.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
All the swearing gets to me too and one of the most annoying examples was Riker's predictable, repeated reaction in Star Trek Next Generation: "damn".
Jim

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
With the kinds of technology we have available today, I don't understand why there isn't a better standard practice of sending data over the same channel broadcasting media that would allow for some device to audibly (and or visually) block out the words in question. Such a simple thing to do yet no one has done it or done it well.

I guess I live under a rock, I don't really hear that much vulgarity. But then again I can't imagine there be much swearing in the types of programs I watch.

Orrymain

I don't know how you miss it, considering what they allow on prime time network TV these days. It's everywhere and so hard to miss. However, that and the blood and gore is why I don't watch a lot of the more popular shows.

I think what happens is that we become desensitized to swearing. For example, one of the reasons the 1970s movie, Midnight Cowboy had an X rating was because it had the F-bomb in it. Nowadays, it wouldn't even cause a stir with the MPAA and its rating system.

Orrymain

I was thinking just that, tonygun. Also, we have different definitions of swearing. For me, the 'd' word is swearing (as in Hoover). The 'b' word with the itch is swearing. I'm willing to bet some folks don't acknowledge those as swearing anymore. They probably look towards the f word.

That sounds like a pretty neat device, it would be better if there was less swearing or none at all. It is an undeniable fact that swearing on air has become more common nowadays, irregardless of the degree of offensiveness. It's like for every few words spoken, a swear word has to pop up.

Orrymain

That sounds like a pretty neat device, it would be better if there was less swearing or none at all. It is an undeniable fact that swearing on air has become more common nowadays, irregardless of the degree of offensiveness. It's like for every few words spoken, a swear word has to pop up.
What bothers me a great deal is when the swear words are tossed in just to be there. They really stand out. I think the first Star Trek movie had one swear word in it and it just didn't belong. It was purposely inserted to avoid a G like rating. Still, that stuff bothers me big time.

I was thinking just that, tonygun. Also, we have different definitions of swearing. For me, the 'd' word is swearing (as in Hoover). The 'b' word with the itch is swearing. I'm willing to bet some folks don't acknowledge those as swearing anymore. They probably look towards the f word.
Sounds like you and I have the same standards for swearing. My wife won't even let the kids use the word, "stupid" so you have to know that the other stuff isn't allowed in the house.