Swine Flu kills 20 million people worldwide

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Swine flu mystery, myth or fact?

Spanish flu was one of 3 strains of the influenza virus. Origin not known but widely speculated.

The 2009 flu outbreak in humans that is widely known as "swine flu" technically is not swine flu. It is due to a new strain of influenza A virus subtype H1N1 that derives from one strain of human influenza, one strain of avian influenza, and two separate strains of swine influenza. The origins of this new strain are unknown, and the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) reports that this strain has not been isolated in swine.[3] It passes with apparent ease from human to human, an ability attributed to an as-yet unidentified mutation.[4] The strain in most cases causes only mild symptoms and the infected person makes a full recovery without requiring medical attention and without the use of antiviral medicines.[5]
The 2009 swine flu outbreak is an epidemic that began in April 2009 with a new strain of influenza virus. The new strain is commonly called swine flu, but some authorities object to the name and it is also called Mexican flu,[52] swine-origin influenza,[53] North American influenza,[54] and 2009 H1N1 flu.[52] The outbreak is believed to have started in March 2009.
Swine influenza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Influenza A virus subtype H1N1, also known as A(H1N1), is a subtype of influenzavirus A and the most common cause of influenza in humans. Some strains of H1N1 are endemic in humans, including the strain(s) responsible for the 1918 flu pandemic which killed 50–100 million people worldwide. Less virulent H1N1 strains still exist in the wild today, causing roughly half of all flu infections in 2006.[1] Other strains of H1N1 are endemic in pigs and in birds.
Influenza A virus subtype H1N1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1918 flu pandemic (commonly referred to as the Spanish flu) was an influenza pandemic that spread to nearly every part of the world. It was caused by an unusually virulent and deadly Influenza A virus strain of subtype H1N1.
1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Paris-based World Organization for Animal Health also objected to the name, saying the virus contains avian and human components and no pig so far has been found ill with the disease.
Reuters AlertNet - U.S. officials want 'swine' out of flu name

meh, more scaremongering from the press.

First it was SARs, then Antrax, Y2K, Avian Flu (which wasn't nearly the pandemic it was laid out to be), west nile, Conficker Worm, now this.

BTW it's another form of the Flu. ANY kind of flu can kill, esp the weak or elderly. there's no reason for people to wear masks as they are out. this is another scare tactic from the media overhyping yet another story they don't have all the facts for.

What's next? deer flu? dog flu? another bloody computer worm?

The number jumps around too a lot. it was 26 yesterday. big surprise coming from Mexico City, which i have heard isn't too good with healthcare.

As stated, the 'normal' old flu can kill millions, where's the coverage for that?!

Last night on FOX, it was titled not swine flu any longer but the H151 (remember the avian flu had the same number?) we should all don tin foil hats and gas masks lol

The news media must be strapped for cash to be looking up any news about disease which no one knows enough about and throwing around tons of exaggerated figures unconfirmed and shouting 'IT's NOT CONTAINED' and the overused word 'Pandemic' to scare people to buying papers. me wonders why the local news is covering it seeing as i get it free OTA and most cable/sat providers don't charge extra for locals?

Eventually it will all blow over just like Conficker. sadly we keep believing this BS from the news after so many times it was never worth worrying about. why do humans always fall for this?

Last edited:
Was there ever any doubt it would be overhyped? i mean a few weeks before this it was Conficker. and it turned out to be nothing more than horse hockey.

I mean i don't deny the disease, but i do think it was much ado about nothing. it was merely another case of a treatable disease. the Flu. and the 'regular old' flu can kill 30,000 a year in the U.S. so far the only U.S. death from 'Swine' flu was 1. one. as in a mexican kid in texas. but any flu can kill the young, elderly, or sick.

Wake me when there is a NON curable disease and stop the panic hype. any time i see news headlines like 'the SWINE FLU is KILLING MILLIONS' or anything like 'TERROR ALERTS RAISED TO 5 AFTER SWINE FLU' or any type of apocalyptic headline i ignore it. when it is real or a real threat, they'll be more serious about it.

What happened to the West Nile Virus or Bird Flu that was supposed to have wiped us all out? where's our Killer Bees? Anthrax? Ebola?

Heck that's a wonderful way to live a relaxed life. worry about this, worry about that. in my opinion, i'd rather not know what i'm dying from. or when. i'd rather live a carefree life and have it hit me without any prior knowledge of what it was. that means i'm not going to hospitals or getting checkups. never. i may have cancer! but i won't find out.

Anyone remember the quote from Rosevelt?

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.'

Learn it, know it, NEVER forget it.

OH and btw you have a better chance of being hit by lightning than dying from Swine/Bird/Hoof and Mouth/[animal name here] Flu

odds of having died from Swine flu in the US : 300,000,000 to 1

Odds of being hit by lightning and dying 3,000,000 to 1

Odds of fatally slipping in bath or shower: 2,232 to 1

I've seen better odds in Lottery drawings.

Also, keep in mind that this is NOT 1918. medical science and medicine has come a long way since our last 'real' pandemic. quit worrying people. if there's one thing that will kill you it's worry. we have a pandemic alright, a fear pandemic.

Last edited:

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Was there ever any doubt it would be overhyped? i mean a few weeks before this it was Conficker. and it turned out to be nothing more than horse hockey.

I mean i don't deny the disease, but i do think it was much ado about nothing. it was merely another case of a treatable disease. the Flu. and the 'regular old' flu can kill 30,000 a year in the U.S. so far the only U.S. death from 'Swine' flu was 1. one. as in a mexican kid in texas. but any flu can kill the young, elderly, or sick.

Wake me when there is a NON curable disease and stop the panic hype. any time i see news headlines like 'the SWINE FLU is KILLING MILLIONS' or anything like 'TERROR ALERTS RAISED TO 5 AFTER SWINE FLU' or any type of apocalyptic headline i ignore it. when it is real or a real threat, they'll be more serious about it.

What happened to the West Nile Virus or Bird Flu that was supposed to have wiped us all out? where's our Killer Bees? Anthrax? Ebola?

Heck that's a wonderful way to live a relaxed life. worry about this, worry about that. in my opinion, i'd rather not know what i'm dying from. or when. i'd rather live a carefree life and have it hit me without any prior knowledge of what it was. that means i'm not going to hospitals or getting checkups. never. i may have cancer! but i won't find out.

Anyone remember the quote from Rosevelt?

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.'

Learn it, know it, NEVER forget it.

OH and btw you have a better chance of being hit by lightning than dying from Swine/Bird/Hoof and Mouth/[animal name here] Flu

odds of having died from Swine flu in the US : 300,000,000 to 1

Odds of being hit by lightning and dying 3,000,000 to 1

Odds of fatally slipping in bath or shower: 2,232 to 1

I've seen better odds in Lottery drawings.

Also, keep in mind that this is NOT 1918. medical science and medicine has come a long way since our last 'real' pandemic. quit worrying people. if there's one thing that will kill you it's worry. we have a pandemic alright, a fear pandemic.
But I wouldn't read the story in the first place if they didn't use such shocking headlines. ;)

When 9/11 was happening i was glued to the TV. and no, there was no 'We're going to die' BS you hear about lately. why? because it was a real threat and a real tragedy and they were very serious about reporting it.

i'm not worried about this. I've gotten fevers that were so bad I stayed at the hospital for days until my immune system fought off the virus. Puking my ass out too.

Over-exagerated media coverage, for the loss.

Sadly the next year about this time we'll hear yet another animal-themed flu. anyone else catch the irony in that it's always farm animals? like cows (mad cow, hoof and mouth) chickens (avian flu) and now pigs? i mean the vegans around the world are just laughing it up aren't they?

Nice post moderator 1inxs. Yes it's so very true that the media really exaggerates most stories that are not so sensitive. Yet it still has its social consequences which only feeds the minds of stereotypes..

This 'Everybody PANIC!' type of headline in the news is not benefiting them at all. esp when i hit the 'Power OFF' button on my converter lol!

They're still doing it. on THIS TV it's a sub-channel of 14WFIE (NBC) so the stupid crap is scrolling on the bottom ruining my viewing of Patty Duke and Mister Ed.

When there is a real threat however, they're much more serious about it. they were very serious with 9/11 and more recently the Kentucky Ice Storm as it was a REAL threat. but when it goes all chicken little i think they're playing tabloid or they're just crying for attention. pick a small issue and blow it up to gain ratings.

For now i think i'll keep my tin hat in the closet. ;)

Last edited: