Switching to Blu-Ray

Now that Blue-Ray is the standard, are you replacing your old dvds or just building up your Blue-Ray collection as you buy new movies? This reminds me of the dilemma that I had when I went from vhs to dvds.

For those who are willing to pay extra (vs DVD) and have the equipment necessary to allow the benefits to be realized Blu-ray is a good choice.
But many people will get limited benefit relative to upconverted DVDs.

cherokeeflyer

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Now that Blue-Ray is the standard, are you replacing your old dvds or just building up your Blue-Ray collection as you buy new movies? This reminds me of the dilemma that I had when I went from vhs to dvds.
I'm mostly buying new movies when they come out. I only replaced a couple, and don't plan to replace the hundreds of SD DVDs I have. I also watch some Blu-Rays that I get from Netflix.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I don't think I'll switch to Blu-ray, as they are technically less durable than DVDs, once that blue coating gets polished off you can kiss that disc goodbye. Yeah, they sore more, but they require special handling to preserve its usability. I'd only buy the system when movies begin to be released on Blu-ray only, with no DVD release. That would take a while as Blu-ray players are pricey now. At the same time, I'll change my recording media from DVD for Blu-ray. However, like I did with CD-R, I will have to burn 3 copies of each production I make, in case one gets scratch beyond repair - I won't trust anything that isn't in a protective sandwich like DVDs.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I'm not convinced Blu-Ray will last that long. I'm not buying anything Blu-Ray. I'm sticking to the regular stuff until or unless they do away with it.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Blu-ray will last long enough for the decision not to switch to become a source of annoyance for the folks who make that decision (kind of like the decision to buy an NTSC (analog) television in 2006 would have ended up being a source of annoyance, or the decision to buy a 802.11(b) wireless router in 2003 would have ended up being a source of annoyance, etc.)

I plan on switching to Blu-ray before I get annoyed.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I agree 100%. Blue ray was and is not the best format available. I'll wait for the next generation.
Problem is, you may be waiting a while. :playball: I think Blu-Ray is here to stay for atleast a decade or so. I don't see any other technology being implemented into TVs that requires anything more than 1080p lines of resolution either.

Blu-ray will last long enough for the decision not to switch to become a source of annoyance for the folks who make that decision (kind of like the decision to buy an NTSC (analog) television in 2006 would have ended up being a source of annoyance, or the decision to buy a 802.11(b) wireless router in 2003 would have ended up being a source of annoyance, etc.)

I plan on switching to Blu-ray before I get annoyed.
Been there, done that, and can't agree more.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Actually, I suspect that the next disc format will correspond to the next increase in resolution, from HDTV to UHDV; i.e., you'll be buying new televisions to support it.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
That depends on how far away the television is. Regardless, someone will find a way to sell UHDV some day, whether people need it or not.

tortver

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I'm not upgrading to Blu-ray at all. More and more of my content is online. I find myself either streaming movies straight to my xbox or buying normal DVDs, which I can often find for really cheap. I personally think Blu-ray is the media's last stab at a dying physical market vs. a thriving digital and online one.

GrantDraper

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It is just a constant pain in the back side :). I take 2 years to get a DVD player then it switches to Blue-Ray - so frustrating some times!!!