Sylvania 32" HDTV / Dish Network - Static/Poor Picture

Liz

DTVUSA Rookie
I just purchased a Sylvania 32" HDTV. I have Dish Network. I hooked the TV up to the Dish receiver via a coaxial cable. The TV scanned for channels and immediately found the dish receiver and I could begin watching television right away. The issue is that the picture is still square (instead of filling the whole screen, a rectangle) and there is static present.

Also, (this question should probably be in the Dish forum) I cannot find the correct code for the TV to power on/off with the Dish remote. I can change the channels, but not power.

Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas?

Greatly appreciated,

Liz
EDIT: Liz, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. I moved the post to this thread for better visibility with your issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I just purchased a Sylvania 32" HDTV. I have Dish Network. I hooked the TV up to the Dish receiver via a coaxial cable. The TV scanned for channels and immediately found the dish receiver and I could begin watching television right away. The issue is that the picture is still square (instead of filling the whole screen, a rectangle) and there is static present.

Also, (this question should probably be in the Dish forum) I cannot find the correct code for the TV to power on/off with the Dish remote. I can change the channels, but not power.

Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas?

Greatly appreciated,

Liz
EDIT: Liz, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. I moved the post to this thread for better visibility with your issue.
You can use the coaxial cable to connect to the TV, but I would recommend connecting the Dish Network receiver to the Sylvania HDTV using the component inputs on the TV for a crisper picture. To clear up the grainy picture, make sure you have the 3/4 output switch on the back of the Dish Network receiver on the same channel as the TV. If the Dish receiver is set to 3 make sure the TV is switched to channel 3. If that doesn't help, switch the Dish receiver output to 4 and select channel 4 on the TV to see if that helps.

When you are viewing SD programming from Dish Network, your HDTV will set the picture to a small box in the center of the screen. You can choose the zoom feature on your remote control to fill the screen.

I'm not totally sure, but I don't believe you can program the TV remote to work the Dish Network receiver. You need to set up the Dish remote to control the HDTV. Post back with the mmodel number of the Sylvania and we'll try to find the correct code.

Liz

DTVUSA Rookie
It actually ended up being the TV. I did an equal exchange for the same model and the picture was clear. Sylvania's tech support helped me to realize it was a bad antenna input. That's what I get for buying electronics from BJ's... haha

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
It actually ended up being the TV. I did an equal exchange for the same model and the picture was clear. Sylvania's tech support helped me to realize it was a bad antenna input. That's what I get for buying electronics from BJ's... haha
I would have guessed that your Dish receiver was bad. Good call by Sylvania's tech support. Most new electronics have about a failure rate of 1 in 6 (per Consumer service plans: Worth the cost? (Page 1 of 3)), so it pays to have your original receipt and packaging material handy for during the warranty period.

The link I posted from bankrate is pretty good for anyone considering a consumer service plan.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
We appreciate you taking time to post back with your update. Glad you're system is working correctly.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
I hope the system is working good but is Liz still using co-ax between the TV and the Dish receiver? This kind of connection does not do HD at all.

You must use component video and RCA or digital audio or HDMI cables to get a real HD picture. Co-ax, composite video or s-video do NOT provide a real HD picture.

Liz

DTVUSA Rookie
I hope the system is working good but is Liz still using co-ax between the TV and the Dish receiver? This kind of connection does not do HD at all.

You must use component video and RCA or digital audio or HDMI cables to get a real HD picture. Co-ax, composite video or s-video do NOT provide a real HD picture.
System is working great!

haha but about HD..
I don't have that option (nor do I care at the moment, no offense). I don't actually have my own Dish receiver. I spliced into the "kitchen" receiver upstairs with a co-ax cable, which is already hosting 2 TVS (kitchen and an upstairs bedroom).

Yes, I'm stuck watching whatever is being put on in the kitchen and vise-verse, but it's all good.. moving out soon anyways :D

Thanks for all the help, you guys! :thumb:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Most new electronics have about a failure rate of 1 in 6
That is because the consumer has become quality control. Very expensive end step that used to be in all electronics that is now skipped. It's easier to replace units for the people that complain.

It's a wonderful world.....

We need a smiley holding a Chinese Flag!!!