Target Discontinues Target Ticket Service Effective March 7, 2015

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Users of Target's "Target Ticket" Video service recently recieved this email notice:
  • Feb 10
To
  • me

[TABLE="align: center"]

[TD="bgcolor: #cc0000, colspan: 2"][/TD]

[TD="width: 467, align: center"]important update.[/TD]

[/TABLE]

Hello Target Ticket guest,

[/TABLE]

Target has made the difficult decision to end the services offered on Target Ticket effective March 7, 2015. After that time, Target Ticket will no longer be accessible across all device applications, gaming consoles, tablets, smartphones and the web.

• If you have rented any movies that you have not yet watched, these movies must be watched prior to March 7, 2015. Starting on this date, they will no longer be available on Target Ticket.
  • Starting March 7, 2015, if you have purchased digital movies/TV shows from Target Ticket, you may access this content on CinemaNow, provided it is also available on CinemaNow. CinemaNow is available at no cost to you. We have partnered with CinemaNow, a leading provider of premium pay-as-you-go digital entertainment, to ensure a smooth and easy transition.
  • If you choose to register with CinemaNow, you must agree to have your library of purchased titles and existing account credits transferred from Target Ticket to CinemaNow in order to maintain access to your titles purchased through Target Ticket. You can transfer your library on or after March 7, 2015.
  • UltraViolet movies purchased through Target Ticket can also be accessed through several other digital movie services.

For additional information, please view our Frequently Asked Questions. You will also receive an email on March 6, 2015 with more information

We thank you for the opportunity to entertain you.

Sincerely,
The Target Ticket Team

view FAQ

[/TABLE]
I'm sure a lot of readers were unaware that Target even HAD a streaming video service...

MrPogi

Staff member
I want to add that - in the past, I have expressed concerns about "owning" a digital copy that exists only online. And this illustrates my concern: If you purchased a digital copy with Target Ticket and it's not on CinemaNow, you don't own it. And you never did.

The only digital copy you actually own is one that exists on physical media, be it on disc, hard drive, or similar storage device/media. If you need internet access to watch it, you don't own it.

w0en

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Users of Target's "Target Ticket" Video service recently recieved this email notice:

I'm sure a lot of readers were unaware that Target even HAD a streaming video service...
Right before XMAS I purchased a new ROKU streaming stick from a local Target store. The remote has a dedicated Target Ticket button on it and the stick came with coupon for a free TT rental. Without that, I wouldn't have been aware of the Target streaming service.
I wonder what the lifespan of the service was ?

MrPogi

Staff member
Right before XMAS I purchased a new ROKU streaming stick from a local Target store. The remote has a dedicated Target Ticket button on it and the stick came with coupon for a free TT rental. Without that, I wouldn't have been aware of the Target streaming service.
I wonder what the lifespan of the service was ?
18 months!

Good points brought up. The only way I buy any movies for streaming only is through a reputable system that has a good history and is already established. I've a few tv shows and movies I've bought through Amazon but that's Amazon. I know if for some reason they ever got rid of streaming that they'd make ammends to their customers somehow because of their wonderful customer service and track record. TT, however, was almost never advertised, the pricing was crazy ridiculous most of the times and the one time I tried to use a free download code it wouldn't work and customer service finally, after almost two hours of trying to get my code to work, was told there's nothing they could do but have a supervisor call me. No call. I took my Roku stick back and told them why and how I can get it for the same price at Walmart and don't have to worry about services not working.

Thomas G

Contributor
Good points brought up. The only way I buy any movies for streaming only is through a reputable system that has a good history and is already established. I've a few tv shows and movies I've bought through Amazon but that's Amazon. I know if for some reason they ever got rid of streaming that they'd make ammends to their customers somehow because of their wonderful customer service and track record. TT, however, was almost never advertised, the pricing was crazy ridiculous most of the times and the one time I tried to use a free download code it wouldn't work and customer service finally, after almost two hours of trying to get my code to work, was told there's nothing they could do but have a supervisor call me. No call. I took my Roku stick back and told them why and how I can get it for the same price at Walmart and don't have to worry about services not working.
As you kind of mentioned, the thing with Amazon is, they are a tech company as well as store front with selling digital music and books. So when Amazon rolled out their Amazon Prime TV subscription, it was good and they knew what they were doing.

Target on the other hand...what a disaster of a roll out and the service was just no good.